Fixing a broken screen cover

Reaction score
So I recently got an early 2012 macbook pro 2.2ghz 500gb 4gb of ram for 330$ Good deal.
The only problem is that, the plastic screen cover protecting the display itself, is cracked. So the actual display where the picture shows up isn't cracked just the layer covering it (I think its plastic? It has a spider crack from the bottom middle stretching outwards each way like 2 inches. the glass isn't falling apart or anything, but it is pretty noticeable.
So I looked up videos on replacing this,But all of the videos I see they are replacing the entire screen and not just the cover. Am I able just to replace the cover? There was a video where A guy heated up the edges then pried it off but I'm 90% sure he was taking the whole display off not just the cover. I've seen some kits online for like 30$, But i'd have to do it myself and want to know how hard it would be before I do anything. Does anyone have any instructions for this or know of a video where they are just replacing the cover?
Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Am I able just to replace the cover? There was a video where A guy heated up the edges then pried it off but I'm 90% sure he was taking the whole display off not just the cover. I've seen some kits online for like 30$, But i'd have to do it myself and want to know how hard it would be before I do anything. Does anyone have any instructions for this or know of a video where they are just replacing the cover?

There's a good reason why Apple does not just replace the cover but instead will replace the entire display. The newer iMacs are the same way.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual for instructions on how to replace the display. They also sell the kits.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know if it can be done or not. Since the new Macs have the protective glass (you called it a cover) glued to the display, it's not recommended. Besides, I don't know who stocks just the outer glass cover alone. It may be possible and perhaps someone else who has experience can chime in and answer your question.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok, I've just watched a few youtube videos and I now know it IS possible. The hard work is only really involved when replacing the LCD itself, Which I do not have to do. If you replace the lcd you have to unscrew the back cover and disconect and re connect cables.
If you are just taking off the front glass panel and bezel, you have to heat the sides of the screen, then try to pry it off, then install the new glass cover.
I do have a question or two if anybody has ever done this.
They talk about being careful when removing the area near the webcam. They say there are screws or pins or somthing near there, but I don't know if they are actually attatched to the screen cover or just underneath. My 2nd question is, do you need a suction cup really? I don't have one but it doesn't seem like its even that necessary to use one. And last, could a hairdryer work instead of a heat gun?
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
You do need a good suction cup, and don't attach it over cracked glass or there will be no suction. You also need a hot air gun, a hair drier doesn't generate the high heat required. Be careful not to fry the black rubber trim around the edge of the glass. Quality of replace glass varies, as do the adhesive strips around the edge. Some start falling off soon after fitting. Avoid plastic screens, cheaper but absolute rubbish. The chances are a glass replacement will never look the same as a replacement Apple display.

OP
C
Reaction score
You do need a good suction cup, and don't attach it over cracked glass or there will be no suction. You also need a hot air gun, a hair drier doesn't generate the high heat required. Be careful not to fry the black rubber trim around the edge of the glass. Quality of replace glass varies, as do the adhesive strips around the edge. Some start falling off soon after fitting. Avoid plastic screens, cheaper but absolute rubbish. The chances are a glass replacement will never look the same as a replacement Apple display.

So if my glass is cracked at all I shouldn't use a suction cup, or just put it on the part of the glass where it isn't cracked? On amazon.com, in the reviews of the glass replacements, there was a person or two who used a hairdryer, you just have to apply the heat for longer. The glass replacements all get good reviews on amazon,com so they must be fairly decent.'

Have you done this yourself?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.