Moving back to iOS 6

Reaction score
Can this be done. I dislike iOS 7 and feels its very sluggish. It also may toast my battery which is something iOS 6 did not do. If they force me on this one, I may move back to using the BlackBerry.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From all I have read it runs fine on the 4s. Will see what I can find. Going back may not be possible without a backup and delete the whole OS. Anyone have any input for the OP? I have never tried to go backwards on IOS.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for posting that miles! Saves me searching! :D

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that miles! Saves me searching! :D

Did it work? I am not trying that without hard evidence that it works. How do I even know that this will work?

THANKS ALLOT IOS 7 YOU ERASED ALL MY DATA IN MY GAS CUBBY APP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOVING BACK TO THE BLACKBERRY.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would try it but have a 3GS with IOS 6.

The Blackberry has many issues of it's own but what ever you want to do.

Reaction score
I ran the beta up to the public release on my iPhone 4. It's not terrible, but it's not as good as it is on my 5th gen iPod touch.

Best of luck to you though. I had to downgrade an iOS device from beta 7 to 6 last week.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chris, how did you downgrade? Can you tell people as there are many here who want IOS6 back.

Reaction score
To correct myself, it was beta 7, not the public release.

The method I used was to put the device in Device Firmware Update mode (DFU mode for short) - requiring a 10 second or less hold of the power and home buttons.

Plug it into iTunes, iTunes will recognize it as a device in recovery mode. From there, I doubt it'll be easy to go to iOS 6 since iOS 7 was publically released.

I don't think I can comment (or link) about sites that have iOS 6 available.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That URL said where to get it. Main thing is you will loose it all as IOS7 backups will NOT work on IOS6! Just a warning. If I were you I would try it some more and maybe you will like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Thanks for the info all. I think I'll pass on this release for now as I am running an "old" iP4.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info all. I think I'll pass on this release for now as I am running an "old" iP4.

I keep mine also XJ! Very good idea just in case. If you saw the video I posted you might want to wait for IOS 6.01 as it might speed things up on the IP4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I keep mine also XJ! Very good idea just in case. If you saw the video I posted you might want to wait for IOS 6.01 as it might speed things up on the IP4.

LOL. I edited while you were quoting! LOL Wasn't sure what was OK to post re: reverting and the mechanics of it all. But, keeping the old .ipsw files is never a bad idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
Wanted to add in a little perspective on iOS 7 on the Verizon iPhone 5, for people that may be reluctant based on this post. It would seem there is merit in being reluctant to upgrade, as the unofficial first line of support for iPhone and other Mac hardware in the company I work at I've had the opportunity to see the issues.

All of my coworkers with the Verizon iPhone 5 have reported that since upgrading to iOS 7, they have seen a drastic reduction in battery life. Employee 1 indicated that they unplugged at 7am, sent 4 text messages, listened to music installed on the iPhone itself (not streaming) for 30 minutes and his phone was dead by 2:00pm. Employee 1 indicated that after turning off background app refresh among a few other settings not being utilized, that he got approximately 5 hours a day in standby mode, and it has not improved with resets, power cycles or use.

DISCLAIMER: I have not upgraded my VZW iPhone 5 to iOS 7, because I never upgrade to first releases until they've had a chance to work out all of the bugs. Plus, I use this phone for work all the time and can't experience any issues at this time. I didn't even upgrade to Mountain Lion on my MBP until two months ago because the battery issues with older MBP's still hasn't been resolved. I still wouldn't have if software requirements didn't force the upgrade from Snow Leopard.

Not sure what's going on with this revision of the iPhone 5, as it is much the same hardware as Sprint's and I haven't heard of any issues there. Although, with this information and the link below to the test by extremetech on a VZW iPhone 5 I will definitely be waiting for the next official release update to see how things are resolved.

iPhone 5 battery life is significantly reduced by iOS 7 | ExtremeTech

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Not seeing this on AT&T so it must be a CDMA thing.

C

chas_m

I'm inclined to agree with osxx. We don't have CDMA in Canada so my iPhone is a GSM. I have seen a BIT more battery use (all that white! It blinds!), but nothing like what the OP is describing at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I would add that no one that has complained about battery life to me has complained about performance. It seems the performance and speed of iOS 7 is good on the Verizon iPhone 5, just a significant curtail in battery life.

It's great to see some feedback on this from other model users though. The extremetech testing seemed extremely one sided as they didn't reproduce the issue on other versions and carriers of the iPhone 5. Extreme lack in statistical support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I appear to be having better than average battery life with my iPhone 4S on iOS7 (AT&T), but my wife saw drastically reduced battery life. We reviewed her settings and she had a lot of apps with Notifications turned on that she knows were off previously, so we corrected those. We also changed her email settings from Push to Fetch (Push is a battery drain). We then did a hard reset. Her battery life seems to be back to normal. (EDIT: I take that back. She just told me the battery life is better than it was after the update, but still below normal).

Regarding the hard reset... I've found that sometimes after doing an update, battery life is diminished but a hard reset cures it. It seems that "something" is hung up in the background sucking down the battery and a hard reset (reboot) corrects it.

One other note... we did the equivalent of a "clean install" by restoring the firmware through iTunes, then restoring the backup. That seems to be the best way to go about upgrading for major releases. Someone I work with upgraded to iOS 7 via his iPhone's own updating mechanism and he had some weird error message (I forget what it was now) that required a restore to resolve. Prior to this restore, he had never connected his iPhone to his computer in the 2 years he's had his 4S.

Oh yes, as for performance, iOS 7 is buttery smooth on our 4S iPhones. It's an AWESOME update with a lot of long overdue features. This time last year, I was very unimpressed with the progress in iOS 6 and iOS 7 had to be good, or else. I think this really shows just how ineffective top management had become in working together until Scott Forstall was canned. This was a heck of an update to pull off in, what, 9 months since then? I see only GREAT things going forward with Tim Cook taking charge.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.