How can I limit the bandwidth?

Reaction score
I'm not the best computer user. So the answer to my question might be right there but i can't find it.

Someone in my family is downloading so much and I can get their ip address or their mac address but how do i limit their bandwidth without banning them from the network.

Also, if this requires some kind of software or a piece of hardware, can you tell me which ones would you recommend?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Depends on what Modem/Router you have. I have a NetGear DGNG4000 and im allowed a 5GHz and 2.4GHz wireless network. I have the Kids on the 2.4 and me and the missus on the 5 and i cut them off at 10pm as well as limiting their Bandwidth.
So if you have a up to date Modem/Router you can do it. As far as Apps/Software out there, im not sure on that, and then again, im thinking it will have to be ISP specific . .

OP
S
Reaction score
Oh that's a good idea. But how exactly big is the difference between 2.4ghz and 5ghz. I know 5 is more with less range, but i'm not sure.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The 5Ghz range is best for short distances from the router as it is more resistant to interference. However, for longer distances from the router the 2.5 Ghz range is better but is susceptible to interference.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.