Motherboard repair from spill

Reaction score
I read and have done all the things in first lines of this board. It has been several months since the spill.

The pro is a early 2011 pro 15. The problem after the spill is that the display is blank. The system boots (i can hear the chime) and the keyboard lights up, and it charges fine. I plugged in a cable and connected it to a standalone VGA and the standard apple space space picture comes up.

I took the back off and the tea stains are visible and there are burn marks and corrosion specifically under several components. Two are marked +22 1E15 located directly in front of where the battery connects to the board. Internet search yielded no diagrams of the board. It is obviou these have fried.

The others are a series of 4 chips marked 470 d14 F, and 6 chips marked 68 cC14 F. I don't see any corrosion around these, but I do see staining on the bottom cover where they reside on the board. Other than this, I don't see any other corrosion after going over everything with a magnifying glass.

Does anyone know if these can be repaired. The cost of a new one isn't worth it, but I would risk a little to see of someone can put new parts on this one.

If not, I will parting it out on Craigs.
CaptainDave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
and there are burn marks and corrosion specifically under several components.

That's a very bad sign, corrosion is one thing, as is shorting-out a certain component, but of you're seeing literal burn marks it's possible that an overpowered electrical charge went through your system and it is effectively "fried"

You can try replacing the components you think are faulty, but water damage is not always visible. Then you've just put even more money into something that you'll still wind up parting out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Teas (tannic acid) is particularly corrosive so no good news alas. Do you have householder's insurance which may cover accidental damage? That is your only option.

OP
C
Reaction score
I will part the pro out if anybody needs parts. It actually boots and the disk runs. I even got it to display the outer space picture on an exterior monitor.

Bummer

CaptainDave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.