Windows 7 on mac with VMware Fusion without installation disc

Reaction score
I am a student and we get an account with MS dreamspark and have access to download software for free but they're all downloaded as ISO files.
I have a MBP 2012 and have virtualbox and VMware Fusion and can't get windows 7 to install on either one.
I have tried burning the bootable iso file to a disc and using the disc to install but it says there is no boot medium found.
I've tried booting with a bootable flash drive and virtualbox bios doesn't support that and I don't see an option with VMware.
I've tried booting from an iso file on virtualbox by assigning the iso to the IDE under storage in Virtualbox and it goes the the "loading windows files" screen and then comes up with an error message saying there may have been a software or hardware change and to insert the installation disc and if you don't have it to contact your administrator.
I'm more comfortable with virtualbox than VMware Fusion but ultimately want to use VMware Fusion. I started with virtualbox because it's free.
If someone could please help me with this i'd be greatly appreciative!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
DreamSpark doesn't provide Windows 7 - it only provides ISOs of the server versions of Windows. Where are you getting W7 from?

OP
E
Reaction score
Items (All prices are in US Dollars)
Quantity Unit Price Amount
1. Microsoft Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 32/64-bit (English) - DreamSpark - Download 1 $0.00 $0.00
Instructions:
Session Cookie Check
Subtotal: $0.00
Taxes: $0.00
Total: $0.00

Please ensure all information listed above is correct and keep this receipt for your records.

If you have any questions, please see the Help section of the website.

Thank you,
University of South Carolina - iIT - DreamSpark Premium

OP
E
Reaction score
So like i said. I got the iso from dreamspark... not really the point though.

Both the downloaded iso and bootable usb work on a windows computer.
I plug the usb in click on the setup.exe file and the install windows 7 window pops up.
Why can't it be that simple on the mac? and with the plain iso file with magic dic it opens right up as well.
So I know both the iso file and the usb's work to boot windows 7.
It's just not working on my mac.
Anyone have any answers as to why?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
ISOs are perfectly usable with both VirtualBox and Fusion - you just set the disc drive to read the ISO and not the drive itself. In VB, when you create a new VM, it gives you the option to do so (I can't remember the exact steps but it's early in the setup wizard).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.