Best Remote Access App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
So my trial period just expired with LogMeIn. I loved the experience and had planned to use their service when the trial expired, but I was somehow led to believe that it would be 40 bucks a year for as many computers as I wanted. That's not what they calculated the price to be when my trial period was about to expire (OK, so I probably didn't read the fine print, but that's beside the point). It was more like $50 for each computer which would have been over 2 bills a year. Not doing that. So now I'm on the hunt for an app, instead of a provider, which basically does the same thing for a one-time price. I don't care for subscription based software thru providers, but may be willing to go that route if the price is reasonable. One app I'm looking at is Remoter, available thu the App Store for $30.

3 basic things I'd like the app to do:

1. Remote desktop (screen sharing)
2. File management (transfer/copy files between host and remote ws w/o having to control screen)
3. Remote streaming (can play video files from the host using software on the remote ws)

#3 would be great but not mandatory; however, I can already do all three of those things over my home network, no software needed. Certainly, there is an app out there that will allow all of those things over the Internet via remote access. Remoter looks like the best option, so far, but not sure if it does #2. LogMeIn was great at #1 and #2, but doesn't do #3 unless it's over remote desktop and then you have to set the quality way down for it to be smooth. Thoughts on other apps? Experiences?

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Thanks, guys. I'll take a further look at Team Viewer.

It's my understanding, Craig, that ARD is good at local remote desktop work, but lacking in remote access over the Internet. One of my computers is a Windows box as well. That is one of the things I liked about LogMeIn. I could control the desktop of that PC with my Mac and work with Office products without corrupting my Macs with MS software.

Reaction score
TeamViewer is the best thing you can find for free. If you have an account, which you can make for free, you get to access your computer from a different computer, mobile phone andriod and ios, tablet devices. Can also access from Mac to PC or PC to Mac.

You can also access a friend's computer by entering a randomly generated number on the other computer. Example, i use Mac and my father uses PC. He doesn't understand much on computer and sometimes there might be some app problems or whatever. All I ask him is to give me the number generated on his TeamViewer, i just put the number on my own TeamViewer and I am in.

So basically this app has everything. and it's all for free if it's for personal use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.