file management in ML

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac quad 8, Os X.8.5 6gig ram for now
Hello I for one am not thrilled with ML. Finder help does not know what file management is. I used to be able to move a file from my desktop to a hard drive folder and not leave a copy on the desktop. Why do people want to disguise change as improvement? Probably a justification thing.

Also every time I drag a file to a location in a folder on the desktop to the main HD, in addition to leaving a clone behind it returns the window to the very top. So there is a long scroll back to the location where I have to put other 6 files. There might be some mba/nerd reason for this behavior but it's making me crazy. I do not like inefficiency. I want to know what hoops I'm supposed to jump thru to MOVE A FILE not copy it. This should be the most basic activity in an operating system let the copy freaks use a modifier key. Did a comity write this OS? Of course it did if came from a corporation. It's jist biddniss!

Ron

C

chas_m

Hello I for one am not thrilled with ML. Finder help does not know what file management is. I used to be able to move a file from my desktop to a hard drive folder and not leave a copy on the desktop. Why do people want to disguise change as improvement? Probably a justification thing.

There has been no change in file management in at least the last three versions of OS X. Dragging a file from one spot to another spot *on the same drive* moves the file, dragging a file from one spot on Drive A to a spot on Drive B *copies* the file. This is not new.

Also every time I drag a file to a location in a folder on the desktop to the main HD, in addition to leaving a clone behind it returns the window to the very top.

This makes me think that perhaps the problem is with your mousing skill. If you drag a file and "hover" over a folder, the folder will open (this feature was first introduced in OS 9 back in the 90s, btw). You can turn this off in Finder preferences if you want.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.