powerpoint directly from laptop to TV?

Reaction score
I'm told I can show a PowerPoint presentation by hooking my laptop up directly to the TV--with an HDMI cable, I assume. Can anyone tell me if and how that works?

Thanks so much.

tdt

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you tell us which Mac you have (year and model) and what version of OS X it's running along with the make and model of TV, we can probably answer your question.

Briefly, it is possible by running the video output from your Mac to the TV. But without knowing which Mac, we have no idea of what adapter and cable you'll need.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
T
Reaction score
MacBookPro 10.5.8 My TV is a Panasonic flat screen. Other TVs will be flat-screens, but that's all I know about them. Also, do you know if the FAVI Entertainment LED-3 Mini Projector is compatible with my Mac for those venues that don't have a TV?

Thanks

tdt

OP
T
Reaction score
bobtomay

Hmmm, I didn't think I had problems connecting to the TV except for PowerPoint. But now I'm not so sure. I'll check the thread you suggest.

Lucky for me I have a few weeks to get this sorted out.

Thanks,

tdt

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Don't know that there is a "problem". The issue is one of knowing what is required to connect the 2 of them.

An individual piece of software running on your Mac has nothing to do with the hardware video ouput port available on your Mac, nor the video input port on the TV, nor the cable &/or adapter that would be needed for making the connection between the 2 of them.

Without knowing what video ports are on the Mac and the TV, it is not possible to advise what adapter &/or cable you need.

If you are still running 10.5.8 on a MBP, then you have a MBP made between '06 and early '08 - all of which had a DVI video port.

A Panasonic flatscreen doesn't really tell us what type of video input ports that TV has - it depends on the age of the TV. If it was manufactured during or after about '06, am pretty sure all Pannys had at least 1 HDMI video input.

If the above is true for your TV, then you would need a "DVI to HDMI" cable to connect them together - such as this one.

You should, however, verify that your TV has HDMI ports yourself, prior to purchasing the cable.
And be forewarned - that will only pass the video to the TV. It will not pass the audio to the TV.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's exactly the set up I've been using. I came across something on PowerPoint that makes me think there are some settings I need to fiddle with. PP just annoys me. Have always avoided it. Not an option now. Thanks for your help. At least I know I have the correct interface.

I still need a projector because not all venues will have TVs... screens but not flat screens. Do you know if the FAVI Entertainment LED-3 Mini Projector is compatible?

Many thanks, tdt

PS "In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus. " LOL
I always assume its another **** bug that's probably been there since before Win95. Like a table in Word that starts generating hundreds of pages if you hit critical mass of dense pages in the file, like 20. Page breaks help, some.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.