m4a file plays in Preview and Flip, but won't play in iTunes???

Reaction score
Not too long ago the external HDD that I had my iTunes library stored on died a horrible death...before I could back it up, of course. Luckily, I subscribe to iTunes Match and I was able to re-download all of my music from the cloud (couldn't download most from the iTunes Store as they weren't purchased through iTunes). Problem is, approximately 20 songs across many albums are corrupted in some way. The m4a files play just fine in Preview, and they'll also open and play in Flip Player. I import them into iTunes and they show in my library, but they won't play and iTunes just skips right over them. Any suggestions on how to fix this??

Thanks!!

C

chas_m

iTunes Match stores every song you have (up to 25,000 + any you bought from iTunes) regardless of where you got it from, and should be able to restore all of them (not just the ones you got from iTunes).

The problem songs could have some kind of DRM on them, or they are partially corrupted as you say. I'd suggest finding a music converter (like MediaHuman Audio Converter, free) and just changing their format to let's say MP3 and see if that works.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Can also try deleting and re-downloading them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.