Dell HD with iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 Inch 2019 MacOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
I have a Dell HD s2409W 24 inch monitor that I want to use with my iMac. What kind of adapter will I need to hook it up to the iMac?
Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No way to know unless you provide us with which iMac you have since the iMac has been manufactured since 1998 with anything from no video out through 5 different types of video out ports over the years.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That particular Dell monitor has an HDMI input, however, as already mentioned we need to know which iMac you have.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to the Apple Store. They sold me a Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter. it worked. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder why they didn't recommend and sell you a Mini Display Port Adapter to HDMI? The adapter you bought is analog only whereas the HDMI one is digital which would give you better clarity. Did you tell them your Dell had an HDMI input?

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder why they didn't recommend and sell you a Mini Display Port Adapter to HDMI? The adapter you bought is analog only whereas the HDMI one is digital which would give you better clarity. Did you tell them your Dell had an HDMI input?

My Dell is HD. He said something about HDMI. Now I am confused. LOL Perhaps I should go back and look into this. I think he said my Dell is HD not HDMI. What is the difference between the two?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My Dell is HD. He said something about HDMI. Now I am confused. LOL Perhaps I should go back and look into this. I think he said my Dell is HD not HDMI. What is the difference between the two?

I believe that you're getting confused. The "HD" in the model name of the monitor refers to the fact that it can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

This "HD" terminology does not really have anything to do with the video ports on the monitor. "Dell HD" and "HDMI" are not comparable terms:

- "Dell HD" relates to the display resolution of the monitor
- "HDMI" has to do with the type of video ports on the monitor

HTH,

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe that you're getting confused. The "HD" in the model name of the monitor refers to the fact that it can display a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

This "HD" terminology does not really have anything to do with the video ports on the monitor. "Dell HD" and "HDMI" are not comparable terms:

- "Dell HD" relates to the display resolution of the monitor
- "HDMI" has to do with the type of video ports on the monitor

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks. I'll read that again to I can remember. :) My iMac is about 2.5 almost 3 years old. Does it have HDMI? I will go back to the Apple Store tomorrow and ask for HDMI.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I'll read that again to I can remember. :) My iMac is about 2.5 almost 3 years old. Does it have HDMI? I will go back to the Apple Store tomorrow and ask for HDMI.

If memory serves me correctly...only newer Mac-Mini's and retina MacBook Pro's have HDMI ports. I do not believe any iMac models have been released yet with an HDMI port.

Your iMac has a "mini-display" port as it's video out port...and I believe that your Dell monitor has three different video-in ports...VGA, DVI, and HDMI.

This is why Apple sold you a mini-display port to DVI adapter. Which will work...but as chscag mentioned earlier...a mini-display port to HDMI adapter may be even better.

- Nick

p.s. I believe that the mini-display port to HDMI adapter is about $5.00 more than the mini-display port to DVI adapter (the one you got). $29.00 vs. $34.95.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Video ports that can be found on computers, monitors or TVs that are still being used by customers walking in off the street:

composite
S-Video
VGA
mini-VGA
component
DVI - this one could be an analog only, digital only or combo analog and digital port
mini DVI
Displayport
mini displayport
HDMI
Thunderbolt

And then there are the mobile devices where you can add in a few more ports to the mix:

30 pin connector
lightning
mini HDMI

Most of which (the customer), has no clue what port(s) they have on either device when they go looking for a cable.

The simple fact is, most of the techs in the store just are not up to speed with all those variants of video connections. Advising someone in the store that doesn't know what video ports are on their computer "and" TV/monitor makes it nigh on impossible for them to get the "best" connection into the customers hand. I would guess they're being trained in the situation where the customer doesn't know what they have, the "safest" suggestion is VGA as it is the most common port found on TVs and monitors.

Plus the fact that Apple has an "Apple branded" mdp to VGA adapter,
While they do not have an Apple branded mdp to HDMI adapter.
Selling mdp to HDMI adapters/cables at rip off prices from Belkin and Griffin at $35-$40 and cables at $45-$60.

So, don't go back to the Apple store to get something else.

If the VGA adapter is working fine for you and provides you with native resolution on your Dell monitor and you have no intention of connecting it to a modern TV, wouldn't waste the time exchanging it and probably spending more money than you already have and definitely more than you need to.

If you may have the need of connecting it to practically any TV manufactured since '08 (and will work on your current Dell monitor), then would suggest you head to Amazon or monoprice.com and purchase a mini displayport to HDMI cable. You should be able to find one in a length you need from 3' to 15' for about $12-$15 or less. When looking at Amazon, add together the 4 & 5 star votes and pick one that has close to or better than a 9-1 ratio vs 1 star votes.

Then perhaps try returning the one you bought from Apple - if the packaging is in good shape so they can resell it.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Video ports that can be found on computers, monitors or TVs that are still being used by customers walking in off the street:

composite
S-Video
VGA
mini-VGA
component
DVI - this one could be an analog only, digital only or combo analog and digital port
mini DVI
Displayport
mini displayport
HDMI
Thunderbolt

And then there are the mobile devices where you can add in a few more ports to the mix:

30 pin connector
lightning
mini HDMI

Most of which (the customer), has no clue what port(s) they have on either device when they go looking for a cable.

The simple fact is, most of the techs in the store just are not up to speed with all those variants of video connections. Advising someone in the store that doesn't know what video ports are on their computer "and" TV/monitor makes it nigh on impossible for them to get the "best" connection into the customers hand. I would guess they're being trained in the situation where the customer doesn't know what they have, the "safest" suggestion is VGA as it is the most common port found on TVs and monitors.

Plus the fact that Apple has an "Apple branded" mdp to VGA adapter,
While they do not have an Apple branded mdp to HDMI adapter.
Selling mdp to HDMI adapters/cables at rip off prices from Belkin and Griffin at $35-$40 and cables at $45-$60.

So, don't go back to the Apple store to get something else.

If the VGA adapter is working fine for you and provides you with native resolution on your Dell monitor and you have no intention of connecting it to a modern TV, wouldn't waste the time exchanging it and probably spending more money than you already have and definitely more than you need to.

If you may have the need of connecting it to practically any TV manufactured since '08 (and will work on your current Dell monitor), then would suggest you head to Amazon or monoprice.com and purchase a mini displayport to HDMI cable. You should be able to find one in a length you need from 3' to 15' for about $12-$15 or less. When looking at Amazon, add together the 4 & 5 star votes and pick one that has close to or better than a 9-1 ratio vs 1 star votes.

Then perhaps try returning the one you bought from Apple - if the packaging is in good shape so they can resell it.

But I would want the best clarity I can get.

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just found and HDMI port on it. I will exchange it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By "it"...I'm assuming you mean the monitor...not the iMac.

- Nick

Yes. The Dell monitor had a HDMI port on it according to the preferences.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. The Dell monitor had a HDMI port on it according to the preferences.

I'm not sure what set of "preferences" you are referencing. But hopefully you verified that the monitor has an HDMI port by actually visually seeing it.

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure what set of "preferences" you are referencing. But hopefully you verified that the monitor has an HDMI port by actually visually seeing it.

- Nick

Okay I will do that. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay I will do that. :)

I would verify things visually before returning the video adapter you have. You certainly don't want to return what you have...then purchase the mini-display port to HDMI adapter without visually confirming that the monitor has an HDMI port.

Last night when I was replying to your posts...I looked up the specs for your monitor online. And it did say that your monitor did have VGA, DVI, and HDMI ports. But I also know sometimes mis-prints/mistakes occur. So visually verifying things is best.:)

Of course if you are currently not located close to the monitor (work vs. home) to verify things visually...and wanted to go to the Apple Store before you are able to confirm things visually...then go for it.:)

The specs for the monitor are probably correct. I just figured if you were close to the monitor to visually verify...that would be best.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
MacLover2011
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I just plug in the HDMI adapter into my Dell monitor. It's working. :D It does look a bit crisper. However, I am not sure I am using this monitor to it's optimum strength. I still have to learn my way around the preferences. Sad, I had this monitor for years but never really learned how to optimize it. For instances, it says Resolution 1080p. I am not even sure what that means or if it's the best I can get from this monitor. My iMac is certainly brighter and crisper than this monitor.

I'm happy to say I fixed it a bit. I fixed the contrast and made it 100. I already worked with the brightness. It's much better but not as good as my iMac monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.