iPad - "other"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Hey all!

Can you please solve my mystery - when I sync my iPad I can see what space is taken, such as music, movies, etc...

However, about 19 gigs is taken and explained as "other" - what is this? What can be included in this "other" description?

Thanks!

Max

C

chas_m

I appear to be the only person who understands that "Other" means *exactly* what it says (we get this question A LOT).

It means "files other than the defined categories listed." Covers a lot of ground, and Apple chose not to specifically define it. A lot of "other" is the OS and files the OS needs to run properly. Some of it is stuff you could probably get rid of (maybe).

An example of "other" I discovered not to long ago: video taken by any program other than Apple's camera app is stored within the third-party video app, and is referred to as "other." Video podcasts may get referred to as "other." Just two examples.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13", 2.0 i7, 8GB, Intel HD 4000 512MB, 250GB, 10.8.3
Thanks chas_m...at least now it's more clear...

However, what the **** does my iPad need to run if it has 19gigs of "other"!!?? I don't dl vids, or anything like that, but daaaamn, 19gigs is a lot!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.