Help - iMac does not start any more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I tried connecting my iMac to my TV - to see if it could be used as a second display. This worked, after a certain amount of experiment with the display settings.

However, when I tried rebooting whilst both displays were in use it refused to start up. It just alternated between a white screen with a mouse cursor and a white screen without - on both displays.

So I tried starting it without the TV attached. Now it does not start at all.

At first it started but only as far as the login screen, rather than logging in automatically. When I tried to login it would not accept my password. So I logged in using a different ID, which worked. As that ID is also an Admin I used it to reset my main ID's password. It still refused to login with that ID. Eventually I got past that and set it to auto-login as it used to.

Now it does not start up properly at all. It shows a message saying 'You shut down your computer because of a problem. If you want this message to return in 60 seconds, do nothing. If you prefer it to return more quickly, click on Cancel or Open and both will have no effect except to return this message'.

Of course, it doesn't really say all that but that is the effect.

I tried again without any of the external disks, but the result is the same.

I can get up a menu of the partitions, but have not tried any of those except the main one as I am not sure what to do even if one of the Restore partitions works without risk of making it worse.

Any help or advice please? How can I get it back - even if just to the login menu.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Tried resetting the PRAM, in case it is expecting the TV display.

That reset the bootup sound, so it certainly worked - but still the same message :(

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Safe Mode has got it started and auto-logged in to the correct ID.

Ensured the Display is back to only the Mac screen and now rebooting again.

Fingers crossed :)

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wonderful!!

It restarted and logged in correctly.

Now I just need to sort out my earlier USB Hub problems (unconnected to this as I had already disconnected all the USB devices except those plugged directly into the Mac).

Not sure what to do about the TV question :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.