Maybe switching to a mac

J

jc82

Hello everyone. I am wanting to buy me a mac laptop. The things I would mostly be doing is web surfing, e-mail, photos and music. What would an ideal laptop be. I am hoping that I can turn away from windows forever with the purchase of a new mac. I have had nothing but problems with windows. Viruses one of which I had to have a hard drive replaced and not to mention the multiple crashes when running several programs. Any guidence would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Go for an iBook. The 12" is incredibly protable. I mean, this thing is small! The 14" ads a great deal of screen space, and is still fairly easy to tote around. The main advantage to the 14" is that it's the only model you can burn a DVD on. This isn't available on the 12".

Reaction score
Out of the 12in iBook, 12in PowerBook, and 15in PowerBook/Mac Book, get the most expensive one you can afford, you won't regret it.

BTW, No virus can do physical damage to computer hardware, if your hard drive went bad it may have just been due to manufacturing defect or wear. Apple hardware isn't immune to such problems.

OP
M

MJGUK

I'd have to agree with the previous poster and suggest the iBook.
I have a 14" iBook myself. They are very portable, very functional and fairly rugged, I find.
If your needs are as stated, music, photo and email then an iBook will fulfil your needs and go a step further.
If you're able, looking to spend a bit more then the Powerbooks have just be substantially released in price, with the release of the MacBook Pro. These are still great notebooks and will run all universal binaries for years and years to come. If you want a step above the iBook, the Powerbook might be for you, if you desire that extra amount of power.

Good luck with your choice!

Reaction score
Here in the US, the prices of G4 PowerBooks didn't drop when the MacBooks were released.

OP
L

Left Face Down

mynameis said:
Here in the US, the prices of G4 PowerBooks didn't drop when the MacBooks were released.

Yes, and I would have to say this did influence my chioce drasticly. As I was looking at the 15.4" PowerBook and then looked to see the MacBook Pro for the same price.

Needless to say I went MacBook Pro. I was sorta scared also by the rumors of the PowerBooks and iBooks being replaced by Intel counterparts/upgrades by earliest April/May of this year. I may have a windows aspect on things like that, as apparently the MacBook Pro is a little over kill for me, but I seriously didn't see the reason to buy something that'll be replaced in a few months by something "better".

Granted I was orignially going to buy a laptop around that time, but stuff happened.

OP
M

MJGUK

mynameis said:
I may be incorrect, however the current starting price for a G4 Powerbook here in the UK, is £1099 and I am fairly sure that is a substantial drop from what the used to be, before the MacBook Pro release.
I don't remember the figures exactly though so I could be incorrect, either way they still look excellent value to me!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.