Annoying Desktop Backgrounds Issue (pics)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Whenever I restart or re-login to my MBP, the default space background comes up and it points to a background folder that doesn't exist (at least not when I logged out) in System Preferences. I think the problem stems from the fact that I'm working from a restored account from a former MacBook and the folder it wants to point to did exist on the former MB. It doesn't matter how many times I delete the folder in preferences, it comes back on login or startup. Do I need to go into system files to make this problem go away? A little help from you more knowledgeable members would be appreciated. (see below)

Reaction score
Try moving or deleting ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist.
~ is your home folder. Library will be hidden so use Option and select the Go menu in Finder to get to it. Finder will recreate the .plist file when you select a new desktop pic.

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Much thanks, cradom! I knew I'd probably need to delete a plist file, but I'm very wary of messing with system files. My system files aren't hidden, but there are two Libraries. I'm guessing it's the Library under System, correct?

Reaction score
No, it's the one in your user folder, which should be hidden unless you've changed it.

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were right - there's yet another Library besides Macintosh HD>System>Library and Macintosh HD>Library in my home folder that I wasn't seeing. It came up when I did the search you suggested from the Go menu. Anyway here's what I found:

Should I just delete desktop.plist, the two with the extensions or all three?

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The bottom two files are blank, btw.

Reaction score
There shouldn't be but one so I would lose all three.

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a bunch! That worked!

Here's a related question.
Every time I log onto the network (home LAN over Airport Extreme) after login or startup, the login window comes up with my oldest login name and password filled in. It doesn't matter how many times I put the new info in and check "save in keychain". It always comes up with my old info. I browsed the system files and couldn't find a related file. Any idea where that one would be or how to reset that? Appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Go to System Preferences/Network. Click on Advanced. Should be a list of networks. Select the old login and click the minus sign.

Screenshot_9_18_13_6_31_AM.png

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I worded that all wrong (although I did what you said, restarted and logged back in to see if the login I meant would come up. It didn't).
It's not when I login to the actual network, but when, from Finder on my MBP, I click on a shared computer (such as my iMac) to get/open a file I want or whatever, and the administrator login comes up (not always, it's erratic) in order to connect. I think it wants the admin login for my iMac, but again, it's old login info that's filled in. The admin login for my both my Macs is the same. It also has an option to login with my Apple ID. Never tried that, tho...

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, got that login to come up, but this one's for screen sharing. Nevertheless, it has my old info filled in. Maybe it's something on my iMac that needs to be reset or changed...

Reaction score
Ah, not sure about that one. Try running Onyx (or a similar tool) and deleting caches.

OP
MacShane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll give it a whirl. Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.