Which version of Windows 7 to load on new MacBook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09/2013 MacBook Pro 13", 2.9 GHz Dual Core i7, 8GB 1600 Mhz RAM, 1TB ATA, iPad 2, iPhone 5, 2 iPods
Getting my new MacBook 13" tomorrow and will need to load Windows 7 so that I can run QuickBooks Pro Plus 2013.

Which of the many versions Windows 7 should I get?

Should I load it on Parallels?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy the Windows 7 x 64 bit Home version. You don't need the more expensive versions of Windows 7 unless you have to access a Windows domain or require the language packs.

Also, instead of Parallels, download the free VirtualBox from Oracle and run Windows 7 as a VM.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09/2013 MacBook Pro 13", 2.9 GHz Dual Core i7, 8GB 1600 Mhz RAM, 1TB ATA, iPad 2, iPhone 5, 2 iPods
thanks chscag

are there a lot of instructions with the Oracle product? I am a neophyte on Mac

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The help file that comes with VB is pretty good and there is also a free forum for any other questions. And of course you can always ask here in our forums.

C

chas_m

If you're a neophyte on Mac, may I respectfully suggest you put off installing Windows and learn the Mac first?

You know your situation better than I do, of course, so you do what you think is best -- but it's been my experience with training people on the Mac that they "force" themselves to work in the Mac environment and not use the ability to run Windows as a "crutch" to keep them in the "bad" habits they learned with that OS. Also cuts down on the frustrating phenomenon of "WindowsThink," where users get annoyed because the Mac doesn't "work like" what they're used to or they can't figure out how to do what they want on the Mac because it's not identical to the (usually more complex) Windows way of doing it.

See my signature for a useful link on this topic..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Which of the many versions Windows 7 should I get?

Should I load it on Parallels?
Intuit makes Quickbooks for Mac so the answer to those questions is, NONE and NO. Read chas_m's essay as he suggested, use your Mac for a month or two, then I'd almost be willing to bet that you'll be more than willing to bite the bullet and buy QB for Mac, rather than taint your brand new MacBook with ANYthing from Microsoft! Just cut the cord, now, and don't look back. You'll be glad you did...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I agree for the most part of what chas_m suggested, running the Mac version of Intuit QuickBooks is not the same as running the Windows Pro version. Take a look at what the reviewers say about the Mac version and more importantly, those who have actually used the Mac product. The reviews are dismal. Intuit has long treated Mac users as step children.

C

chas_m

I haven't seen any reviews on the just-announced 2014 version of QuickBooks for Mac, but yes Intuit has a pretty bad record with Mac users. Still, they do appear to be trying to reform. I suggest giving the new version a trial run, and if it doesn't meet your needs then you certainly have a very legit reason to need to run Windows or at least CrossOver on your Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Haven't used any Intuit products since moving to Japan and switching to Mac, but I make it a point to boycott software makers who shun Mac or who make substandard software for Mac. There are enough Mac users now, that there is just no excuse for it anymore and it downright pisses me off! It's like their way of saying, "you don't wanna use Windows? Tough!". That's fine. If they don't want my business, f*** them, too! There's always more than one way to skin a cat...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.