Microsoft Office activation?

Reaction score
Because of my kids school district requirements, I'm forced to get Microsoft Office for my Macs. They should provide it if it's required, but that's another complaint altogether. So in order to save some money, I was thinking of picking up a used copy on craigslist.

I've heard Microsoft has some sort of activation scheme on their software. Does this apply to the Office products as well as the OS's? I'd hate to get a copy only to have them say it's only activated for the previous owner. If so, does this apply to all the Office products or only the latest version (2010? 2004? - Don't remember what years they were released).

One more question, can I install it on more than one computer at home, or is that an activation issue as well?

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Every MS product has an activation key associated with it. You will need to ensure that the previous owner deactivates their copy before selling you their copy and gives you the key as well.

The latest Office suites can be installed on bunch of computers (up to 5) per their help page. Older versions of Office might be limited by their EULA's..

Free Office-clones like NeoOffice/LibreOffice can create compatible files and the paid ($20) app Pages can also create Office-compatible files..is it absolutely necessary to just use Office?

OP
P
Reaction score
The requirement is all papers are written in MS Office. I'm sure that just means MS Office format if things were truly compatible. However, I've had soooo many problems with keynote slides looking like garbage in powerpoint that I just don't want to deal with it any longer. For a couple years now I've been taking their pages/keynote papers to work on a thumb drive, opening in Office on windows there and fixing all the gotchas. Then bringing the files back home so they can be turned in. Quite the pain now that one has hit middle school and another is in honors english in HS. Plus they're getting tight on thumb drives at work. On some machines around there, external storage devices are locked out as a "security precaution."

When I switched to the Mac 15ish years ago, I did it cold turkey and never needed to install anything from MS. It irks me to have to fork out over $100 bucks just for a student version now. Yeah I'm cheap when it comes to giving money to certain companies.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, let's get some info about Office for Mac straight:

Office for Mac 2011 is offered in two versions = Business, and Home & Student. There is no 5 install version of Mac Office 2011, only single install and 3 installs. And it requires activation. You also need its serial number to install before activating.

Office for Mac 2008 also comes in the two versions I mentioned. It can be installed on up to 5 Macs and does not require activation. You do, however, need its serial number to install. This is the version that you probably should look for as that will save you money.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Papers are due in the next couple weeks. So if I don't find a used 2008 in the next few days, I'll begrudgingly go buy a 2011 version. Gotta do what you gotta go.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The requirement is all papers are written in MS Office. I'm sure that just means MS Office format if things were truly compatible. However, I've had soooo many problems with keynote slides looking like garbage in powerpoint that I just don't want to deal with it any longer. For a couple years now I've been taking their pages/keynote papers to work on a thumb drive, opening in Office on windows there and fixing all the gotchas. Then bringing the files back home so they can be turned in. Quite the pain now that one has hit middle school and another is in honors english in HS. Plus they're getting tight on thumb drives at work. On some machines around there, external storage devices are locked out as a "security precaution."

When I switched to the Mac 15ish years ago, I did it cold turkey and never needed to install anything from MS. It irks me to have to fork out over $100 bucks just for a student version now. Yeah I'm cheap when it comes to giving money to certain companies.

Thanks

I hear ya, and just to ensure that you aren't missing anything, you might want to try out NeoOffice, OpenOffice and LibreOffice. Create a Word document in it and then open it up in MS Word and see how it looks..

You might want to do some fancy formatting (that your kids might do on their papers) to see if it is also retained in MS Word..

C

chas_m

Also, check with the school to see if they offer a discounted version of MS Office. And if they don't, ask them why not since they "require" it for their assignments ... which is the biggest load of claptrap I've ever heard, I'd bet you at least $100 if I completed one of their "assignments" and saved it in RTF it would open in their copy of Word and they'd never know the difference ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have to agree with chas on this. If they (the school) is so determined that their students all must use MS Office then they should either supply it or offer it discounted. Many schools, both secondary and college level supply MS Office for free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.