• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Video editing (AVCHD) on a MacBook Air 2013

Reaction score
Hi,

I am planning to buy my first Mac ever :)

It will probably be the MacBook Air 2013. I will basically use it for surfing the web, develop iPhone/iPad apps and AVCHD video editing.

Will the MacBook Air 2013 with 4 GB RAM be good enough for AVCHD video editing? Or is the 8 GB RAM version recommended? Anyone that has personal experience of AVCHD video editing on a MacBook Air 2013 and can tell me something about the perceived performance?

Which are the programs I need for basic AVCHD video editing? I know there is iMovie... is that enough? Or, maybe it sucks for AVCHD editing? ;D

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Mac Book Air Avchd.

AVCHD will work fine with the Mac Air. I would up the ram to 8 gb. At present i'm using a 5 year old "Elite" Mac book and have no problem with hd video in i movie (card reader) BUT it will not import the avchd at any great speed. Exp. i import 50 minutes of hd Avchd and it took two hours to do this. Panasonic recommends at least quad core processors. You can upgrade from i movie.(f.c) You have to research and make that decision. I have i dvd and it is holding it's own. It will freeze up (i movie too) when you are using it for a long period of time. This is the norm. Don't forget Video eats up h/d space so 250 gb is the minimum. I have become a Mac video geek and will be turning pro. All i need is the new Mac "Pro", Final cut, Adobe software, dvd blue ray burner and let me at em. Remember research, research, i movie is great for beginners and short amounts of video importing (20-30 minute footage) take your time MAC will be here a long time.....Hope this will help you. Call Mac and doubbbbble check importing avchd.

Tryon:D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The way todays web browsers eat memory - imho - Apple shouldn't be putting less than 8GB on any Mac.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The way todays web browsers eat memory - imho - Apple shouldn't be putting less than 8GB on any Mac.
You're not joking either:

Screen Shot 2013-09-17 at 3.35.43 PM.png

(That's 1612.4 MB of memory for those keeping score).

C

chas_m

Hang on -- I always thought people used Chrome because it DIDN'T "hog memory" like Safari ... ??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It doesn't leak memory like Safari which is, well, ridiculous. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.