Trashcan refuses to empty

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently I've reorganized a lot of files and now I want to get rid of everything I don't need anymore. My trashcan contains 3635 (visible) files that I want to remove. When I click the "delete safely" button in the Finder window displaying the trashcan, it starts 'gathering' all the files (and suddenly there are 71,023 items!). Finder asks me whether I want to delete only 'unprotected' files or just 'everything'. No matter which one I click, the result is the same: the progress window displaying the emptying pops up but disappears in a matter of seconds. Result: no files are removed!
I've even tried an app called Trash It!, which should fix such issues, but even when the program says it has emptied all the trash, it's still there!
What can I do to get rid of my trash?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If you are certain you don't care about what might be in the trashcan, you can force the deletion by the following Terminal command

Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash

Be VERY sure to enter the command just as you see it. The folder has a "dot" in front of it since it's a hidden folder.

You will be prompted for your password, and once entered, your .Trash folder will be deleted.

Now log off and log back in and the folder will be re-created for you automatically and your trashcan should behave normally. Test this by downloading some random file off the Internet, trashin it, and emptying the trashcan.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You're either trying to trash something that shouldn't be trashed...or you're trying to trash too many items at once.

Try to trash fewer items at one time...and see if this helps.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Another possible solution is to "Force Empty" the trash can. To do this...press the "Option" key before emptying the trash.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.