How do I set my drive to rw?

Reaction score
I have macbook laptop....I bought this one a couple of years ago..
Since I need to maintain some stuff in hdd, I needed to boot from DVD,(which I got when I bought this notebook - Snow Leopard OS X installation DVD)
Once I booted, then I went to terminal..then when I checked my status by df..
/dev/MyMacHddXXX - it was mounted as read-only...

Is there anyway in this terminal I can change to read-write?

I tried to update it by "mount -u -w /dev/MyMacHddXXX", but it gave me the error message saying "Invalid Argument"..I don't think the syntax is incorrect...

What command am I supposed to use to set my main hdd drive to read-write in this terminal window?

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
Surely it's the DVD that's read only, not your HDD?

Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do?
Maintaining the hard drive is done with Disk Utility. (or Onyx) What do you need to do in Terminal?

OP
M
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to do?
Maintaining the hard drive is done with Disk Utility. (or Onyx) What do you need to do in Terminal?

Currently, for some reason, I am not able to boot my machine...Only option available at this moment is Terminal Window. .. When I check my mounted hdd, it is readonly. I need to change/and update some my file in my hdd..obviously, chmod didn't work either, cuz it is mounted to read-only.

No way to set my hdd to rw?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What?
I am trying to set my HDD to rw ..what are you saying?

Can you please explain what you mean by "trying to set my HDD to rw"?

If we have a better idea of what you are trying to do...then maybe we can help better.:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Can you please explain what you mean by "trying to set my HDD to rw"?

If we have a better idea of what you are trying to do...then maybe we can help better.:)

- Nick

I'll try ..ok

../df -u
/dev/diskXXX (this is my hdd) ...( ...readonly)

Since this is mounted as readonly, I can't change/update my files in terminal window.
Usually, when you want to remount in mac, as far as I know, the command is like
mount -u -w /dev/diskXXXX ...however, it generates "Invalid Argument"...
I don't think my command is incorrect..If this command is wrong, please let me know.

This is all I am trying to do now...

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Just use diskutil:
Code:
diskutil mount /dev/diskXXX
That should mount it read/write (I believe this is the default since you have to be specific about mounting it read only). You may have to unmount it first:
Code:
diskutil unmount /dev/diskXXX

OP
M
Reaction score
Just use diskutil:
Code:
diskutil mount /dev/diskXXX
That should mount it read/write (I believe this is the default since you have to be specific about mounting it read only). You may have to unmount it first:
Code:
diskutil unmount /dev/diskXXX

I will try it tonight at home, but couple of questions...

1. I believe this is the default since you have to be specific about mounting it read only)
-> Like I said in the early post, I had to boot from my OS installation CD, and opened up the Terminal window. I didn't mount my hdd manually by myself...When I check by df, it just shows read-only....not sure if Mac OS itself somehow set readonly cuz of my hdd issue for some reason..but as far as I see in this specific situation now, read/write is not default one.

2. what's difference between mount and diskutil mount?..I believe that diskutil probably uses mount command internally when you pass mount option in command line...

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I didn't mount my hdd manually by myself...When I check by df, it just shows read-only
You are doing it manually this time though which should force it to be mounted read/write.

2. what's difference between mount and diskutil mount?..I believe that diskutil probably uses mount command internally when you pass mount option in command line...
I honestly have no clue how diskutil works internally so I threw it out there as another option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.