iTunes fails to quit.

Reaction score
Hi Guys. Complete newbie to all this, so be gentle. I'm having a problem quitting iTunes after going through the motions of downloading a CD along with any artwork. After downloading any CD, I then go into Google images to grab the relevent artwork. When I've completed all of this and go to close down iTunes, it refuses to do so. All other applications close down; Safari, mail etc, all except iTunes. Because of this glitch, it then will not let me shut down the computer in the usual way. This leaves me with the only option to use what I assume to be the cardinal sin and force a shut down. If I just download the CD without grabbing any artwork, everything closes down fine. I have a MacBook Pro, running OSX Lion 10.7.5 and iTunes 11.0.5.(5). Any ideas?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can't think of anything off of the top of my head for the artwork problem but to force an application shut, you can either push Option-Command-Esc and force quit it from the list or open Activity Monitor and do it from there.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Vansmith, I'll give it a go next time. I will add that this problem has occurred in the past after an iTunes software update, but after a couple of weeks or so when a bug fix update has become available, it seemed to sort it out.

C

chas_m

Also, there's little reason to use Google Images for this purpose anymore. The iTunes app can add album artwork for you by selecting the command from the menubar.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
And if iTunes can't find it, Wikipedia is an excellent place to find album artwork (perhaps surprisingly).

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, all very much appreciated. I did go down the iTunes route for once for a CD artwork, but it could not find a relevant match, (well that's what it told me). As for the Wikipedia suggestion, will give it a go next time.

C

chas_m

Yes, iTunes can only match up:

a) if the track exists in the iTunes Store and
b) if the track is correctly tagged with the actual name of the song, artist, album.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hi vansmith. Just to say I had the same problem dragging artwork from wikipedia, but the Option-Command-Esc work a treat. Thanks very much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.