Router settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I found that my router static DNS was set to 192.168.1.106 which was a local address. No secondary DNS was set. So I added 208.67.222.222 static 1 and 208.67.220.220 static 2. These are open DNS numbers.

Wonder if this had any thing to do with the hesitation I was having in the browser? Do I have to reboot my router for these new DNS numbers to be used?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't see how changing to OpenDNS would have anything to do with the hesitation you were having with Safari. And yes, you should reboot your router whenever you make a DNS change. Did you also make the DNS changes in System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS?

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't see how changing to OpenDNS would have anything to do with the hesitation you were having with Safari. And yes, you should reboot your router whenever you make a DNS change. Did you also make the DNS changes in System Preferences, Network, Advanced, DNS?

Yes I made the DNS change yesterday on the mac. Not sure if the change to open DNS would have any affect. I just read that sometimes the DNS provided by ISP's did not always work well and Open DNS was somtimes faster.

Does a wins server address need to be included on the router and the mac?

Thanks chscag

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A lot of times the DNS provided by the ISP can be a bit draggy. Going to Open DNS or Google DNS can make a lot of difference for some users. Do you see any improvement at all?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Does a wins server address need to be included on the router and the mac?

No, you don't need to address that unless you were accessing a Windows server such as 2003, 2007, etc. Leave it blank.

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A lot of times the DNS provided by the ISP can be a bit draggy. Going to Open DNS or Google DNS can make a lot of difference for some users. Do you see any improvement at all?

Yes I think it did make a difference. When I saw that the router dns was set incorrectly thought that might be something that would help with the speed if I changed the settings. I just keep messing with things to try and make them better. I guess with wireless there is a limit to the speed that can be reached.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.