• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Do I Need ANY Kind Of Anti-this or Anti-that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
I'm running Mountain Lion on a 13" MacBookPro. I've been running the free version of AVG for Mac but I think it slows me down a bit.

Do I really need it or any other "Anti-" program? Thank you in advance for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
No and I would uninstall it.

OP
billwill
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 GB 13" MacBook Pro, 64GB WiFi, 128GB iPhone 7
Avg

Thank you. I'll uninstall it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been using Windows 7 here for my gaming rig. I am so used to OSX and just doing what I want I forgot I was on Windows as W7 does work very nice. Well I have been hit 4x now with Malware and one true self installing virus. One came straight from a known Disk Utility application right off their server and installed so many nasties it took me 45 min to get rid of them all! Oh well, makes me appreciate OSX more I guess! :D

A note to the OP, I am not careful on OSX, not at all and do what I want. Only care I take is putting in my password when asked for a download until I am sure what it is. Otherwise I go all out. Am sort of a Hacker type. Never once in around 10 years now have I ever been hit. I had to go find that DNS re-director Trojan and force it to install just to see it work. It took me 30 seconds in the terminal to remove it. So do not worry too much about AV. Just use your head and do not give access to anything you don't for sure know what it is and you should be fine.

Let the flames come. Facts are facts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been using Windows 7 here for my gaming rig. I am so used to OSX and just doing what I want I forgot I was on Windows as W7 does work very nice. Well I have been hit 4x now with Malware and one true self installing virus. One came straight from a known Disk Utility application right off their server and installed so many nasties it took me 45 min to get rid of them all! Oh well, makes me appreciate OSX more I guess! :D

A note to the OP, I am not careful on OSX, not at all and do what I want. Only care I take is putting in my password when asked for a download until I am sure what it is. Otherwise I go all out. Am sort of a Hacker type. Never once in around 10 years now have I ever been hit. I had to go find that DNS re-director Trojan and force it to install just to see it work. It took me 30 seconds in the terminal to remove it. So do not worry too much about AV. Just use your head and do not give access to anything you don't for sure know what it is and you should be fine.

Let the flames come. Facts are facts.

Same here Dennis been surfing the net with a Mac since 2006 with no fear and no AV.
Got the nasty FBI bug on a Win 7 laptop that required a reformat it was hammered so bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I think that the issue for the OP is whether to run AV on a Mac (not a Windows machine) - I'm not running an AV program on my MBPro nor on my wife's Mac - we're behind a router (Apple AirPort Extreme) - the only issue that would concern me is passing on Windows malware, e.g. via email, to a friend or colleague who is using a PC - i.e. malware that will not affect the Mac OS may still be destructive to a Windows machine - this is not a major issue for us, but if I were concerned then the free ClamXav would probably be my choice. BUT, just my 2 cents - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5Ghz Core i5; 10GB 1600Mhz;500GBSSD;Intel 4000; OSX 10.8.5
I was thinking for awhile about putting Kaspersky on my Mac, but an engineer I know who works for Apple doesn't run anything on his Mac's. If He's that sure about not getting any malware than I'm pretty sure I won't either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Doesn't that depend a little on how we use our computers?

We all know that building a Mac virus is not impossible. And it is also very possible that a user gets distracted and allows something he didn't have any idea about.

So, if one doesn't play dirty, he seems to be okay. I'm a newbie on Mac too, but that is my impression.

But if you are downloading pirated software, or downloading a legit software from a third party website and not from the vendor's site, I think you are exposed to any threat. I mean, where is the better place than a "cracked mac apps site" to spread a mac virus? Same thing goes for third party websites. Okay, you think you download a legit app (or any other content), but what if the site was compromised?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Anyone downloading pirated software/music/video/etc. takes their chances no matter what platform they may be on.
And having an AV in place will not protect you from any new variants just released into the wild.

Practically speaking, you will find among long time Mac users, those that use some type of AV with any regularity is likely under 5% (and perhaps much less than that).

If you want the best scoop on Mac malware, have a read here and here.

(My wife under Windows, I was unable to install enough security to keep her machine free of malware which typically caused a reinstall at least once every 9-12 months to get rid of it all. She has been malware free on a Mac (a single machine) for over 6 years now which has also gone through 3 in place upgrades to the OS.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Still no Mac OS X viruses. The news will be trumpeted around the world should it occur.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still no Mac OS X viruses. The news will be trumpeted around the world should it occur.
It will definitely make the cover of Time.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.