New to iPhone, got a question for its users

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I'm enjoying this forum quite a bit and I have a quick question for those of you who've purchased an iPhone on release day before.

I'm planning on getting the iPhone 5s but I won't be able to camp out, or go early in the morning. I'm 17 so I'm going with my mom after she gets off work at about 5pm EST.

Question: How long do supplies last in stores?

I plan on getting it with Sprint, so I can go to either a Sprint store or a Radio Shack store. I've heard iPhone sell out in just a few hours and then you'll have to wait weeks for the next shipment. Is this true?

I mean, with the 5C coming out, Samsung, and others becoming more popular, and the 5S being a "s" model and not a brand new phone, I should be able to get myself a phone, right?

Thanks for any and all responses.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
At this point, no one knows how many devices each location will receive. Apple stores do get first priority as to numbers of phones in stock with 3rd party distributors falling down the list.

The longer you wait in the day, the harder it's going to be to get the model for the carrier along with the color and size you want.

Good article here.

If you're waiting until 6 pm to arrive at a store and getting a phone Radio Shack is selling - I'd go place a pre-order at your local RS now! And then keep your fingers crossed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
As to the iPhone 5s not being brand new yes it is under the hood overhauls from motion sensor to CPU/GPU and the camera section got a complete overhaul including the LED flash may want to visit Apple's website and watch the demo's.

C

chas_m

Oh yes. The iPhone 5s is a nearly COMPLETE reinvention of the modern smartphone disguised to look like an iPhone 5. (seriously, it's a major upgrade under the hood)

As to availability, I think you should realistically expect that supplies will be limited for the first week or so, particularly for the iPhone 5s but even for at least some models of the iPhone 5c.

Maybe things won't be like last year, but I'd guess that your chances of getting an iPhone from a store on opening day are very, very slim. Checking Spring and RS might increase your chances slightly, as the majority of sold iPhones are going to be at AT&T, Apple, Verizon and the other major resellers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Last year was a headache. I thought I'd be smart and wait 2 or 3 weeks for demand to die down and supply to catch up. I still couldn't get an iPhone 5 walking into an AT&T store or an Apple Store. Then it took me about 3 or 4 days in a row attempting to order on apple.com for in store pickup at 10pm when they updated inventory. That was the best selling iPhone so far (first year sales), so it makes sense that supplies were struggling to keep up with demands. As mentioned, maybe this year won't be as bad since you have 2 models to choose from and I'm guessing (this is not really based on anything scientific or concrete) that the 5c won't be see as much of a demand as the 5s. I guess we'll know for sure in a month from now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're interested in a 5C you can pre-order it right now from the on line Apple Store. I don't think there is going to be as big a rush for the new iPhones as everyone is thinking. Of course I could be wrong and it may turn out to be as big a fiasco as the iPhone 5 was.

Also (chas_m may disagree) it seems Wall Street is underwhelmed with the new iPhones as Apple stock actually dropped after the announcement.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The iPhone 5s is a nearly COMPLETE reinvention of the modern smartphone disguised to look like an iPhone 5.
Surely that's meant to be hyperbolic. Otherwise, I'm led to believe that someone from Apple's marketing team wrote that line for you. ;)

If you're interested in a 5C you can pre-order it right now from the on line Apple Store.
This is my suggestion as well - order it online, avoid the unnecessarily fanatical lines (it's a phone...) and enjoy it a few days from now.

C

chas_m

Surely that's meant to be hyperbolic. Otherwise, I'm led to believe that someone from Apple's marketing team wrote that line for you. ;)

Okay, "complete" isn't entirely accurate. But the iPhone 5s is a Bigger Deal than I think even most reviewers are making it out to be. You may disagree, but let's see how many 64-bit smartphones there are in a year's time ...

I did also clarify that comment a bit with the following line (that you opted to leave out, changing the context a bit ...).

Early review roundup:

Review roundup: iPhone 5s with iOS 7 best smartphone available, 5c offers well-built alternative

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also Chas read Anandtechs 5S review. He shows the Improvement with the 64 bit Vs 32 bit in many tests. Anand knows his stuff and knows CPU design. He is very impressed with the new CPU as well as Camera and even Surprisingly the Finger Print Scanner which he at first though he would hate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Surprisingly the Finger Print Scanner which he at first though he would hate.

I like that idea a lot. As I stated before, the government has taken my fingerprints numerous times because of the many jobs I had with them and military stints. The NSA is your friend Dennis! :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.