Internet Issues With FaceTime!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just recently I started having issues with my internet connection during FaceTime. I currently have an Iphone 5 and the other person has an Ipad. She says that her ipad has a full wi-fi connection and she sits within 5 feet of her router. My wireless router is only 2 feet from me and when I try to facetime her while my Iphone 5 is connected to my wi-fi it drops the call within 20 seconds.

When I take my phone off of my wifi It works perfectly. So the issue isn't on her end but mine. Im not sure what the issue could be because my mac runs perfectly fine with good speed while Im connected to my wifi. Even when I try facetiming her through my mac the connection becomes terrible.

My internet speed averages between 30mbps and 40mbps which I think should be more then fast enough to handle facetime. I even try closing out all apps beforehand. Still drops the call.

Anyone have an idea on what I can do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Tell us which router you're using and what form of encryption is it setup on? For example:
Netgear model XXX using WPA2.

Good FaceTime communication not only depends on connection speed but also the quality of the connection on both ends. But it does sound like your connection might be unstable although the speed seems to be OK.

OP
K
Reaction score
Netgear N150 WNR1000. Using WPA2.

I was considering it might be the router. It's a couple years old.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might try another router if you're positive the problem is on your end and not your friend's. Is the router supplied to you by your internet provider? If it is, they may be reluctant to change it out and may want to charge you for the service of doing so.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok, so I went and bought a new router. Netgear N900 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
WNDR4500.

Ive connected my phone and macbook to both the 2.4 Ghz and also 5 Ghz connection and still no luck. I literally sit 2-3 feet away from the router. The call is fine for the first 15-20 seconds then it drops. Maybe the issue isn't on my end after all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe the issue isn't on my end after all.

I tend to agree with you. The router you purchased has very good reviews and several other folks who use our forums that have it are pleased with its performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.