Wireless on powerbook not working!

T

trix213

For the past few days, airport has been unable to detect any wireless.

At school, i asked around and tehy told me the wireless for the entire campus was down (geeez)

but it also doesn't work at home. I have a SMC wireless router. It's pretty new, but it was working before. Also, my pbook can't seem to detect next door's wireless (not that it matters, but it did detect it before)

so now, is this a router problem, or did i just push something wrong?

what can i do? I want my internet back!

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
hrmm very odd, you could try a coffee shop like atlanta bread offering free wireless and see if it works there. Not sure if taking the airport out and putting back in would work but worth a shot I guess :) hope this helps..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
There's some option (is on my friends comp) called ?"Interference/internet robustness" or something like that. If you have that option, engage it - it worked for him.

OP
K

KLank

Do you have it set up so the wireless shows up on the top bar? If so is it there? Every once and a while my wife will lose all wireless conections. The icon disappears from the toolbar. When this happens the airport card works itself loose. I open it up and push the card back in and everything works again.

OP
T

trix213

the airport card coming loose sounds like a definite possibility.

HOWEVER, on the car ride home, for a second, i DID sense wireless activity. but with my pbook beside my router RIGHT now...nothing is going.

i have never taken this thing apart. should i be scared?

while i am at it, the airport service seems quite weak...is there anyway to enhance range and activity?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
trix213 said:
the airport card coming loose sounds like a definite possibility.

HOWEVER, on the car ride home, for a second, i DID sense wireless activity. but with my pbook beside my router RIGHT now...nothing is going.

i have never taken this thing apart. should i be scared?

while i am at it, the airport service seems quite weak...is there anyway to enhance range and activity?

If it is logged onto the router, and just not getting a signal, it maybe loose. I've never taken a PB apart, but there are links around this forum for it. Something like pbfixit.com or something. Also try that "interference robustness" option if its available ;)

OP
T

trix213

wi-fi airport worked briefly last night. i have tried IR numorous times, it doesn't seem to have any effect on me whatsoever. thanks guys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trix213 said:
wi-fi airport worked briefly last night. i have tried IR numorous times, it doesn't seem to have any effect on me whatsoever. thanks guys.

really? full strength or weak? Some say metal and cordless phones affect Airport, not real sure.

OP
T

trix213

okay so i decided to take it out and have a look see. (following the ifixit instructions...
only i din't have a screwdriver.

i used dental floss instead (yes...dental floss. yes probably not a smart idea. yes probably not even remotely close to a smart idea)

anyways..i pulled it out, plugged back in - internet still doesnt' work.

now i got another problem.

there is a small piece of...(looks like rubber to me) that came out. its a lil bit sticky. According to my limited knowledge, this holds no other purpose other than as a placeholder of some sorts.

I'll take a picture of the weird looking thing when i get home. its like a rectangular...boxy plastic transparent thing.

Can somebody tell me what this is and its functions?

btw - any more ideas on how to "fix" it? or should i just use my "1 year hardware warranty (and where would i use that?) thanks a lot guys.

Reaction score
to use the warranty you would have to take you pbook to a apple store or call apple care :) thats what I would do next so they could replace it for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.