Unlocked iPhone 5C

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello,
I've been looking into an unlocked iPhone 5C. I've never had an unlocked phone before and I was hoping to receive some helpful information regarding purchasing one. I have been looking online for articles about getting an unlocked one and I can't find the correct information.

I am ditching my contract with Verizon. I was looking into Virgin Mobile and wanted to use them. But, I have been reading reports that you can't use an unlocked phone with them. Is that true? I looked at ordering one through their website and they don't even list the iPhone 5C. I also like that you can do unlimited data and 300 minutes for $30 a month (with autopay). That's a good price to me.

What companies can you use an unlocked iPhone with? Does anyone know of similar pricing close to Virgin Mobile?

I really appreciate any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, I'm not sure you will be able to buy an unlocked 5C as Apple does not say anything at all about it on their website. The 5S can definitely be purchased unlocked but is more expensive.

As far as I'm aware there is only one carrier that will allow a new unlocked iPhone 5S (GSM model) on their network and that's T-Mobile. There are several other carriers that allow an unlocked CDMA model on their network, Page Plus is one such carrier.

You need to do more research and of course wait until the new iPhones are officially on sale September 30th.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I went to Apple's website and its an option when you try and purchase the iPhone 5C. How do I purchase a unlocked CDMA iPhone? I didn't know that was such a thing. I thought all unlocked phones were the same. Are their any good websites detailing unlocked phones that you could recommend? I haven't had much luck on google.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I went to Apple's website and its an option when you try and purchase the iPhone 5C. How do I purchase a unlocked CDMA iPhone? I didn't know that was such a thing. I thought all unlocked phones were the same. Are their any good websites detailing unlocked phones that you could recommend? I haven't had much luck on google.

According to this report on MacRumors, there is one iPhone 5c model that will work on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, and one that will work on Sprint.

M

MacInWin

chscag, according to Apple, the model A1533 is both GSM and CDMA, so wouldn't an unlocked model A1533 work on either? That's how I read it in the specs, but then again, I've been known to mis-read.

It is, of course, up to the vendor, but technically, a 5S should work on either type network.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
chscag, according to Apple, the model A1533 is both GSM and CDMA, so wouldn't an unlocked model A1533 work on either?

No, you're right. What they say is that the iPhone 5S for T-Mobile will come already equipped with a nano sim card installed. However, if you buy an unlocked 5S it can only be used unlocked with T-Mobile since they're the only carrier who currently do not require a contract. I believe but am not 100% on this... is if you buy an unlocked iPhone 5S and decide to go with AT&T or Verizon (not sure about Sprint) it will lock to their network when activated.

I don't know if any of the above applies to the 5C as Apple doesn't really say anything about it on their store site. We'll find out more on September 20th when the 5S and C are released for sale.

Edit and update.....

Looks like an unlocked version of the 5C is also now available from the on line Apple store for $549.00 (16 GB) and will be available on September 20th.

However, the same applies to the unlocked version: Use with T-Mobile as there is no contract required. The other three carriers all require a contract so it can be assumed those phones will ship locked.

C

chas_m

IMO, there's very little reason to buy an unlocked iPhone anymore, as all of the major carriers that I'm aware of there will now unlock the phone for you after a certain period (as little as 90 days, usually) for a small fee.

The main compelling reason to buy an unlocked phone from the get-go would be for travel or if you have an option for a plan that suits your uses better than the "iPhone" plans available from the carriers and you want to go for the other option. I suppose buying an unlocked phone does still save a bit of money over the contract phones, but the main attraction -- that it's unlocked -- isn't as big a deal anymore.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I do want to buy one to save money. I'm getting married in 9 months and both I and my Fianceé are getting iPhones (she's never had one and my contract is up). I currently pay $65 a month for my phone. That's a lot for a little bit of data and some minutes.

So, I checked Virgin Mobile's website and they still don't have a preorder for the iPhone 5C - any reason why they wouldn't? That seems odd to me.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I checked Virgin Mobile's website and they still don't have a preorder for the iPhone 5C - any reason why they wouldn't? That seems odd to me.

Shouldn't you be asking this question to Virgin Mobile's customer service? We have no idea when certain carriers are going to offer the new iPhone 5S or C.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just didn't know if there was common knowledge regarding how they work. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thanks.

C

chas_m

Virgin, being a minor reseller in the US, will likely get the phones a few weeks after the big four. Might be a bit sooner if Apple can manage the demand better than they did last year.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.