Bought my first Mac!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just bought my first Macbook Pro. With the new ones coming out I had enough coupons to get an additional $130 off of the $1049.99 price tag. I have been a Ubuntu user since 2008 and felt like Ubuntu is not maturing as fast as I wanted (still think it is a good OS) so I am going to be giving OS X a try and I am enjoying the hardware so fare. Just figure I would say hello.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA mid-2013 (10.12.4), iPad 5th gen (10.3.1)
Hi. Another Mac newbie here.

I found that Ubuntu (at least the latest versions) got many UI improvements from Mac (or the reverse) so you won't have much difficulty.

Try to find and read some "Migration from Windows to Mac" to find out more about the differences between Mac and your old OS. I say Windows, because this is what most people did/do and user interface and keyboard and mouse traditions are more or less same in Windows and Linux. Like right click, enter to open an app etc.

Good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hello and welcome to the forum. You will find these folks to be a vast wealth of knowledge and if they don't have an answer, they will point you in the right direction to find your answer or solution.
The forumites have made my transition to Mac (almost 3 years ago to the date!) fun and easy.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I have noticed with Ubuntu and many other distro's based on Ubuntu use a lot of design features of OS X. So the transition has been relatively been painless.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's because Linux is a derivative of Unix and so is Mac OS X. ;)

OP
D
Reaction score
That's because Linux is a derivative of Unix and so is Mac OS X. ;)

Well it is because of Linux I came to OS X, I was actually very anti apple prior to 2008 when I was still a Windows user. Then I encountered Vista but with a new born could not afford a Mac and a buddy introduced me to Ubuntu. I used that till now when I decided I wanted something Unix with better native support for external devices and a more stable polished operating system.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I was actually very anti apple prior to 2008 when I was still a Windows user.

Yes...we have lots of members here who were once in that "boat". Now they've gotten older, wiser, and more open-minded!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes...we have lots of members here who were once in that "boat".

And the name of that boat is the Titanic! (Not that we are anti Windows here......) ;P

OP
D
Reaction score
And the name of that boat is the Titanic! (Not that we are anti Windows here......) ;P

Well for me prior to 2008 I did not know a lot about Unix, so I just though it was just another operating system with over priced hardware. Now I have a better understanding of the power of Unix and after buying a Mac I see that there is a difference in the hardware.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unix has been around for a long time and in its pure native form is ugly but very unbreakable and powerful. It was supposedly invented and put together by the software engineers at the old AT&T Bell labs back when Ma Bell owned all the phone lines in the US.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.