USB stopped working

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a macbook pro and one of my USB ports stopped working. If I connect my iPod, it only charges but it doesn't recognize the device. If I connect the same iPod to the other port, it works, it charges and I can transfer files. What I find strange is the fact that the port isn't completely dead because it charges me iPod so I wonder how I can fix it?

I tried to following solutions:

• Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • Reset PRAM

Can anyone help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have a macbook pro and one of my USB ports stopped working. If I connect my iPod, it only charges but it doesn't recognize the device. If I connect the same iPod to the other port, it works, it charges and I can transfer files. What I find strange is the fact that the port isn't completely dead because it charges me iPod so I wonder how I can fix it?

I tried to following solutions:

• Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
  • Reset PRAM

Can anyone help?

If the port itself really is defective, you can't fix it. A service center may be able to if it's simply a matter of re-soldering a connection. You can check to see if there is dirt or something in the port that is keeping the cable from making a proper connection. Power your MacBook down; remove the battery; then try spraying some compressed air into the port. If that doesn't fix it, try a Q-Tip with rubbing alcohol on it.
How to clean dirt out of USB ports? - Crowdsourcing Questions & Answers

You should also try a different cable, just to completely rule that out as being the problem, even if it is working in one of the ports. We had another member recently who had a similar problem.... the cable was charging his iPhone but that's it. He couldn't get iTunes to recognize it. A new cable solved the problem. There may be a kink in it that is causing the problem while in one port, but when you switched it to another port, you may have "unkinked" it due to the angle it's at.

OP
K
Reaction score
To confirm: I just connected my mouse to the usb port. The mouse get's powers but doesn't work. How is that possible, a usb port only gives power but doesn't connect?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Because different pins in the port and different paths on the system board are used to supply power vs the transfer of data.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
To confirm: I just connected my mouse to the usb port. The mouse get's powers but doesn't work. How is that possible, a usb port only gives power but doesn't connect?

Bob's explanation is on the money. I think that pretty much confirms that the port is faulty (or dirty), so I wouldn't bother with trying a different iPhone cable. You can try cleaning it as described before. Barring that, it needs service. If it's still under warranty, then get up with Apple. If it's not under warranty, then you obviously are looking at a repair bill. Worst case scenario, they'll have to replace the logic board, and that's not cheap. It may be cheaper to have it repaired, but that's not exactly cheap either. Here's one service that does repairs:
iMac, Macbook Pro and Macbook Logic Board Repair

You can do a search for others:
https://startpage.com/do/metasearch.pl?language=english&query=mac logic board repair

Now this is interesting. A class action lawsuit was filed last year regarding the very problem you are having. Keep an eye on this:
Class Action Filed Against Apple for Defective MacBook Logic Boards - Patently Apple

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.