Apple Lied about Replacement

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

About 3 days ago I called up Apple Customer Relations because my macbook pro was going back for the 4th repair. I was upset because the trackpad kept breaking. The customer relations person told me to take the computer for diagnostics and then they would determine whether or not they would simply replace it.

It turned out there was issues with several of the hardware parts and they called me to let me know they would be replacing it and that I could pick my computer up and send it to so I could transfer anything I needed. They took all of my info and credit card info so they could put a hold on the card and told me I would receive a verification call that night or the next day (today). After not hearing from them I called several times to make sure there was no issues and was told by several individuals it was fine that they were waiting on some documentation from the woman I was working with.

Tonight she called and left a message saying they would not replace the computer because it was replaced before (they lost my old mac) and there was "sticky substance" on the inside of the computer". When I called back my worker was no longer in. I called the store I had the computer at and they said they did see something but told apple they needed a second opinion. Apple told them not to worry about it that they believed it was a hardware issue.

I got intouch with someone else at apple and they first said it was damage caused by me, then because I had replacements in the past, and finally that there was no damage but they believed repairing it would be better...

I was told I would have the replacement tomorrow morning and already made plans with my work accordingly (I work with crisis individuals and lead several volunteers). Now I need to take it back to the store or wait for them to send a box, even though they went over 24 hours not telling me there was any issue!

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Thank you in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure sounds like a spill of some sort not covered by warranty alas.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. There is deffinately no spill on that computer. They even sent it home with me saying it will be covered, and the tech said he wasn't even sure it was a spill or anything. Apple told him not to bother with the second opinion that they did not believe I caused this (they didn't even tell me about any of this until my customer relations rep left a message last night).

I opened the computer up last night to get my memory out before sending it for a repair and there was absolutely no sign of any sticky stuff or spill. I don't know how to look under the track pad, but he did say it was also around the memory and stuff. I took photos, I donn't know if that will help. This place I took the computer to also charged me $80 bucks when I had my first mac back in college, as he said he had to clear a virus off it. I now know that there probably wasn''t a virus and that I should not have been charged because I had applecare. It's a one man shop.

This is just so frustrating, I have never been treating like this from apple before.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice is to keep working this with Apple. Be patient and make sure you document everything that occurred. Keep all receipts, emails, etc, and above all, don't lose your temper, be polite with everyone you speak with. Keep your cool and if necessary, elevate it on up the Apple chain of command if you don't get satisfaction.

OP
S
Reaction score
My advice is to keep working this with Apple. Be patient and make sure you document everything that occurred. Keep all receipts, emails, etc, and above all, don't lose your temper, be polite with everyone you speak with. Keep your cool and if necessary, elevate it on up the Apple chain of command if you don't get satisfaction.

Thank you for the response. I am just so frustrated and overwhelmed with this. I spent two hours on the phone with a customer relations supervisor last night and he said he wasnt able to overturn any decisions, and that there is no one higher can go to.

Thanks again for the response!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.