HotSpot Shield needed.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Recently i decided to sell my MacBook Pro and i figured i would update it and do a clean install of Mountain Lion so i bought it from the app store, installed it and then i went into Recovery, erased the hard drive contents and now im trying to reinstall mountain lion and for some reason it freezes on download.

Heres the kicker though, When i was first downloading this application i had to run hotspot shield to get the download to work, So im thinking this is the problem... But i cant install anything on my laptop because its wiped clean right now with only the base osx...

Why do i need HotSpot Shield to download the OSX?!

It works everything even on iMac as long as i have hotspot shield running.

Need to get this worked out so i can sell it to a guy waiting on me haha.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hotspot Shield is VPN software. I have no idea why you would need a VPN in order to download Mountain Lion. Have you used VPN software before on your Mac?

VPN = Virtual Private Network

OP
T
Reaction score
No i needed it that one time downloading ML on my laptop. First time ever

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Again, I ask.... why do you need to use a VPN? You're obviously downloading from an area in the US. Can you not connect directly to the Apple Servers to download?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thats the thing, I DONT KNOW WHY, i researched the original problem of the first OSX download freezing at one specific spot everytime i tried downloading it, Someone recommended HotSpot Shield and so i tried it and that worked beautifully... So i dont know whats up with my internet setup thats not allowing Apple servers to run... I can download everything else without HotSpot its just the OSx download ive have problems with.

OP
T
Reaction score
does anyone know the exact ports that need to be forwarded for downloading mountain lion osX

C

chas_m

There are no specific ports. I'd suggest you try connecting your machine to an Ethernet internet connection and try downloading ML directly from the Mac App Store or Internet Recovery that way.

OP
T
Reaction score
Tried ethernet. Cant get to the app store from recovery.

Im attempting to download the OSX from the app store, through start up disk utility.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.