Worse Than the NSA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All . . .
I solely use Safari for my browser. I do nothing immoral, unethical, or illegal on my computer. So I can go to Safari>Preferences and clear my cache and reset Safari...but instantly upon closing and reopening Safari, I always get these tracking cookies loading that instantly track my internet frolicking:

doubleclick.net
scorecardresearch.com
staticflickr.com
yahoo.com
yimg.com

I constantly delete them, but I want to completely block them from even invading my computer in the first place. I have Yahoo set up as my homepage...so I understand how the last 2 constantly get reloaded and I can expect as much. What can I do about the others to permanently block them? How do you guys deal with such privacy invasion?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When you reset Safari...you may have reset some Safari preference settings as well. I would check Safari Preferences...and make adjustments as necessary.

Regarding the cookies specifically...go to:

Safari>>Preferences>>Privacy (then select the setting you prefer).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks, Craig . . . they sure make one work for it. don't they?

Hey Nick...If I set up Safari>>Preferences>>Privacy>> NEVER allow cookies, won't that affect my iTunes somehow? I think I read that somewhere. Thanks for replying.

Brent Wilson

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again, Craig. I am going to dl it tonight and give it a whirl. I read through most of the available info on their site. It almost sounds too good to be true...espcially for free. But I am going to do it!

Does anybody have anything to share concerning Ghostery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks again, Craig. I am going to dl it tonight and give it a whirl. I read through most of the available info on their site. It almost sounds too good to be true...espcially for free. But I am going to do it!

Does anybody have anything to share concerning Ghostery?

Just be aware that it sometimes has adverse consequences and you may find content blocked. It's not common though, at least not in my experience.

You can also look at using a cookie manager. I use Safari Cookies:
Safari Cookies

Reaction score
I have had occasion where things were blocked. Just whitelist the site in Ghostery.

C

chas_m

I second MightyGem's suggestion. I had issues with Ghostery blocking things I didn't want blocked too often. DNTM fixed that problem beautifully.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all. Hopefully some other folks with experience with these difference extensions will share their input with the pros and cons of their favorite. While looking through the links you sent, I saw Disconnect, which seems to get very great reviews...but the filtering API in Safari doesn't work as well as it does in Chrome, Firefox, and Opera. One user reported a small percentage of cookies get through from Google, Youtube, Facebook even though he didn't visit them. I guess I have homework to do reviwing all of your suggestions.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.