anybody here using an asus PB278Q - 2560 x 1440 monitor ?

Reaction score
anybody here using an asus PB278Q - 2560 x 1440 monitor ?

i am thinking of purchasing one to use with my mac pro 5,1 (ati radeon HD 5770 1024MB graphics card) running lion 10.7.3 osx, I've been trying to find info on compatibility and connection issues (what potential adapters i might need to use) so far the info I've found has been a little confusing, I've heard a few people mention that il have to purchase a Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter ? it seems like a pretty expensive addition to the display cost if i want the full 2650 x 1440 resolution and I'm curious if its completely necessary or whether there is a cheaper solution ? anybody who as any experience with using the asus PB278Q with their mac pro or macbook pro please advise me on what is my best options, many thanks in advance ;)

http://www.asus.com/au/Monitors_Projectors/PB278Q/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This won't be a 100% perfect answer (since the monitor I have is not the BenQ PB278Q)...but I think that the situations are similar.

I have an Early 2011 17" MacBook that has a "Thunderbolt" port (similar to the mini-display port for video-out purposes)...with the older 30" Apple Cinema Display attached as an external monitor. It has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 (slightly larger than the BenQ monitor you mentioned).

I bought this Apple 30" monitor used...and luckily it came with the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter.:)

Here's what I know (between the previous owners explanation & what I've learned since).

The Apple 30" display was introduced in 2004...and was discontinued in 2010. In that time it was really never changed/improved...it just sold for about 6 years (until Apple came out with its currently available 27" display)...thus the 30" Apple display was basically 2004 technology.

From about 2004 till approximately Early 2008/Early 2009 (depending on the computer model...listed below) all Apple computers capable of displaying a resolution of up to 2560 x 1600 on an external monitor:

- Powermac G5's
- very last generation 15" & 17" Powerbook G4's
- MacBook Pros
- desktop Mac Pros

...they all had a full size DVI port...and did not need the $99 Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Basically all these Apple computer models and the Apple 30" display were all of the same "vintage" from a technology standpoint.

Then in around the 2009 time frame (when Apple switched the video out ports to the mini-display port or "Thunderbolt" port...this is when the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter started to be necessary.

Basically "something technical" occured when Apple switched from a full-sized DVI video out port to the mini-display port or Thunderbolt port...and this is when the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter became necessary with really large resolution monitors.

So long story short...if the BenQ monitor you mentioned needs to have the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter...it must be similar (technically)...to my 30" Apple Monitor.

But. The Radeon 5770 video card you have (if it's the genuine Macintosh version)...has two mini-display ports...AND one full-size DVI port.

It's very very possible that if you wanted to connect the BenQ monitor to one of the 5770's mini-display ports...you would need the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. But since the 5770 has a full-size DVI port...the BenQ monitor may be able to connect thru that 5770's full-size DVI port WITHOUT the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (unless you have info otherwise).

If you have info that says that this is not correct...then I guess you will need the $99 (US) Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. Since I am not aware of an alternative option.

Hope this helps...sorry for the super long story/explanation!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You would only ever possibly need that $100 cable if you need to connect "from" mini displayport (MDP) "to" DVI.

Don''t do that. That cable is for connecting to older monitors that do not have a displayport (DP) from a computer that does not have DVI.
Adapters are only required when the 2 devices you want to connect have different types of ports.

This is not the case here. You have both DP and DVI on your card and on the monitor.
You will use the same connection at both ends... DP to DP or DVI to DVI... Use either of the following:

a) MDP to DP cable (or adapter since the monitor comes with a DP cable)
b) dual link DVI cable (which is included with the monitor)

Your video card supports up to 3 monitors running at up to 2560x1600.
This is accomplished (easiest) by connecting 2 monitors via MDP to DP and one via dual link DVI

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks a million to both of you guys for responding to my post ;) I'm a complete noob in relation to display compatibility ect, my big concern was that the DVI-D dual-link connector would not be compatible with the graphic cards DVI-I dual-link female connector and that it might mean i have to purchase the mini display port adapter, anyway now I'm clear il go grab the asus display tomorrow :)

its just a shame those $300 qnix "27 2650x1440 displays from korea are not fully compatible though or id buy two of them rather then one asus PB278Q :) hehe

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Cables can get confusing nowadays, that's for sure.

The DVI-I - the 'I' part of that just means that the port supports both analog output (for older monitors) and digital output (for newer monitors).

OP
B
Reaction score
went and made the purchase, happy to say the screen came straight to life as soon as i plugged it in, nice screen indeed, recommended to anybody who doesnt want to risk dealing with the cheap hi res korean monitors on ebay or who just cant justify the high prices involved in the apple displays ;) once again thanks for your help guys

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
went and made the purchase, happy to say the screen came straight to life as soon as i plugged it in, nice screen indeed,

Congrats. Glad to hear everything is working fine.:)

...recommended to anybody who doesnt want to risk dealing with the cheap hi res korean monitors on ebay...

You do realize that ASUS is a Taiwan based company with manufacturing facilities in Taiwan, China, Mexico, and the Czech Republic.

Is this better, worse, or the same as Korean made?

- Nick

OP
B
Reaction score
just so there is no misunderstanding, i would have happily brought a korean qnix 27" 2650 x 1440 display of ebay but after much investigation into compatibility with macs (and especialy macs with the same graphics card as mine) i decided against it, from what i could deduct , ever since snow leopard people who have been using theese displays with adapters have had trouble getting thier screens to work (not that the screens are bad, just that the recent versions of osx will not allow thier use ect), honestly for $300 delivered from korea to australia i would have brought 2, the next options i had were the more expensive monoprice versions and the koogan versions, and then there was the asus at $600 which i decided on based on independant reviews, beyond that my other options were the dell ultra sharps and the apple thunderbolts but for what i needed (even if if i had unlimited budget) they just were not worth spending the extra cash on, who knows ? i have an asus laptop also so i may still buy a 27" qnix sometime down the track to connect up to that ? ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.