Strangest **** thing

Reaction score
I'm a web developer and I'm having a problem with my main boot drive (OS 10.6.8) being able to access my Wordpress website (timfleming.com). I can connect to it on my laptop, my wife's iMac, or if I use 10.8 on a different drive, but when I try it on my Mac Pro SSD I can only see parts of the site (text, links and some images). If I try to login via Wordpress, I get a connection error. This is on three different browsers so the problem isn't there. Again, it is only on this drive. I tried a DNS flush, no help. Could there be some temp files somewhere that need to go? Help!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...I just accessed your website on my computer running Mac OS 10.8.2...and everything looked ok.

Except the side-scrolling slide show on the home page didn't have anything (maybe you don't have the slide show activated at the moment).

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, the Mac Pro is running OS 10.6.8 on a SSD that has all my applications and only those applications (no documents,etc)

My laptop is also 10.6.8

Wife's iMac is 10.8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the Mac Pro is running OS 10.6.8 on a SSD that has all my applications and only those applications (no documents,etc)

My laptop is also 10.6.8

Wife's iMac is 10.8

Ok...thanks for the info.:)

What internet browsers are all these computers using...and if it's the same exact browser (Safari for example)...what versions of Safari are they?

- Nick

C

chas_m

My understanding (and I'm happy to be corrected on this) is that SSDs aren't actually supported under 10.6.8, and thus can develop problems, particularly over time. Don't know if that's a factor here.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you both,

SSDs are supported in 10.6, some apple machines were shipped with them. I don't see how it could be a browser problem. I'm using all the latest versions of Chrome, Safari and FF on my laptop and my mac pro and the problem only exists on the mac pro.

Thanks again
Tim

OP
T
Reaction score
Even Stranger....
I have a local MAMP site, tiimfleming.com:8888 and I can't log into that one either (server error). No problem with other local sites. It was working a few days ago. It's as if timfleming.com is banned from my machine...in any form!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
I would do two generic things:
Start up from the Install DVD and use Disk Utility to repair the hard drive (permissions too while you're at it).
Use Onyx to clear all caches.

OP
T
Reaction score
I just realized you may not have access to that forum , so here's the actual solution:

You, or someone using your computer, may have modified the file /etc/hosts.

The easiest way to fix the hosts file is to restore it from a backup that predates the modification, or to copy the unmodified file from another Mac. If you can't do that, then do as below. Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data. This is a simple procedure, but if you don't follow the instructions exactly, you could be left with an unbootable system. In that case, you'll have to restore from a backup or reinstall OS X.

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:
open -e /etc/hosts

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard (command-C).

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window (command-V). A TextEdit window should open. At the top of the window, you should see this:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost

Below that, you'll see some other lines. There should be nothing above the first line "##". If you have any doubt about that, STOP and ask for guidance. Make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom of the document. Scroll bars are hidden by default until you actually start scrolling, so you may not realize that you’re not seeing the whole document.

If the contents of the TextEdit window are as described, close it, then enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (by copy and paste):

sudo sed -i~ '11,$d' /etc/hosts

This time, you'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. Confirm. Quit Terminal.

If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator. Log in as one and start over.

That will fix the hosts file. There is now a copy of the old hosts file with the name "hosts~" in the same folder as "hosts". You can delete the copy if you wish. Don't delete the file named "hosts".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.