Macbook pro Screws stuck? arghhh

Reaction score
Hey, i replaced my RAM in my 2012macbook pro around 8 months ago.

Screws came off fine, but i have recently bought an ssd to put in my macbook too, but some of the screws just wont come undone.

when turning my phillips 00 screwdriver it makes like a clicking noise as if its not fully slotted into the screw (i tried on a couple of 'stuck' screws for over half an hour)

however some i could unscrew really easily.

Any tips? thankyou!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you have a 2nd screwdriver (the same size)...sometimes it will "bite" better on a semi-stripped screw head (sometimes not). With these screws being so small...there's not much else that can be done.

The trick is to not "booger" them up or over tighten them in the first place (over-tigtening of screws is usually the #1 problem when it comes to removal)...which can be very easy to do with such small screws.;)

If you do get these screws undone...I would definitely recommend replacing them.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
If you have a 2nd screwdriver (the same size)...sometimes it will "bite" better on a semi-stripped screw head (sometimes not). With these screws being so small...there's not much else that can be done.

The trick is to not "booger" them up or over tighten them in the first place (over-tigtening of screws is usually the #1 problem when it comes to removal)...which can be very easy to do with such small screws.;)

If you do get these screws undone...I would definitely recommend replacing them.:)

Good luck,

- Nick

Thanks! so you suggest getting another screwdriver of the same size, but if i cant get them undone, what will i have to do then? :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! so you suggest getting another screwdriver of the same size, but if i cant get them undone, what will i have to do then? :(

You just have to press firmly & pray!;)

When working on something like an automobile (with much larger screws & bolts)...there are some other things that can be done. But with VERY small screws on a laptop computer...there really isn't a whole lot more that can be done.

As I mentioned...the two things to help in avoiding this sort of situation are:

- don't over-tighten in the first place
- damaging the screw trying to remove a tight one.

If a tight screw is encountered...pressing firmly & using only the best screwdrivers are the best ways to get a successful removal...and don't continue to use a "bad" screwdriver. A "bad" screwdriver will only tear up a screw head more.

Like screws...screwdrivers can get worn as well. That's why using a 2nd screwdriver (same size) can help. Since the "blades" on a less used or brand new screwdriver can be in better shape...and may be able to "bite into" a worn screw better.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way...have I stripped screws trying to remove them...darn right I have!;)

Sometimes experience is the best teacher!:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
You just have to press firmly & pray!;)

When working on something like an automobile (with much larger screws & bolts)...there are some other things that can be done. But with VERY small screws on a laptop computer...there really isn't a whole lot more that can be done.

As I mentioned...the two things to help in avoiding this sort of situation are:

- don't over-tighten in the first place
- damaging the screw trying to remove a tight one.

If a tight screw is encountered...pressing firmly & using only the best screwdrivers are the best ways to get a successful removal...and don't continue to use a "bad" screwdriver. A "bad" screwdriver will only tear up a screw head more.

Like screws...screwdrivers can get worn as well. That's why using a 2nd screwdriver (same size) can help. Since the "blades" on a less used or brand new screwdriver can be in better shape...and may be able to "bite into" a worn screw better.

- Nick

Thanks! if i cant unscrew it, will i be able to pay for a new bottom casing and a new set of screws from apple?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! if i cant unscrew it, will i be able to pay for a new bottom casing and a new set of screws from apple?

I'm not sure if you can buy parts directly from Apple (I've never tried...since I know that they would most likely be more expensive than other options). But you can definitely get them via e-Bay...or websites like:

- iFixit
- Powerbookmedic

* Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did want to mention one other thing you can try...but great care must be observed when doing it...since you're working on a computer.

- First...you need to start with a good condition screwdriver (screwdriver blades & tip are not worn or bent).
- Second...place the screwdriver tip into the screw like normal. Making sure the blades & tip of the screwdriver fit into the phillips head slots in the screw as best as possible (considering that the slots in the screw are messed up).
- Third...use something like a small hammer (or other heavy object)...and as firmly as you dare...tap on top of the screwdriver (do not allow the screwdriver to move while tapping it).

What this will hopefully do is...create or deepen the phillips head slots in the head of the screw a little bit...which hopefully will be enough for the screw driver to grip the screw enough to loosen & remove it.

Be very very careful...and as I mentioned above...tap or hit the screwdriver as firmly as you dare (remembering that you're working on a laptop computer). The harder you can hit...the better the chance of creating better/deeper slots for the screwdriver to grab.

I want to mention something again because it's important. Only use a screwdriver to do this that has good clean/sharp blades & a good pointy tip. If you use an old worn out screwdriver...you will have much lower chance of success.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Just an update, i went to my local apple store, and he used a brand new screw driver on them, and they all came undone straight away.

So my screws weren't stuck, my screwdriver head was just abit blunt :p

I'm going to make sure next time i want to take the back off my macbook i have a couple of spare heads at the ready, so i wont encounter this problem again!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just an update, i went to my local apple store, and he used a brand new screw driver on them, and they all came undone straight away.

So my screws weren't stuck, my screwdriver head was just abit blunt :p

Congratulations.:) That was a great idea heading to the Apple Store. I'm sure they run into this problem often.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.