Password

Reaction score
Hi,

I forgot my iPhone 4 password. How can I retrieve it or set a new password?

All my contacts have disappeared and iCloud can only be opened with a password.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have all your data backed up? (either to iCloud or your Mac) If you do, you can always reset your iPhone. If no backup, you may lose all your personal data if you do a reset.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Take a look at the following thread which is on the Apple Community Discussions forum. It's a rather long one but there are various ways given by which you may be able to reset the password without losing your data. Here is the LINK. Good luck and let us know how it went.

OP
M
Reaction score
Unfortunately, none of the instructions in the link you provided helped because none of what is describes in the link is remotely close to what actually happens when I try to take the suggested steps. Is there anything simpler that can be done?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
What happens when you try to follow the steps?

OP
M
Reaction score
For starters, iTunes does not allow me to download a new version, and therefore does not prompt me to do anything else.

OP
M
Reaction score
Here is iPhone message when prompted to downlown a new version : A new iPhone software version (6.1.3) is available for the iPhone “Shani Phone”. Would you like to download it and update your iPhone now?

So I go ahead and download, and then, here is what it says: There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "Shani Phone". The network connection was reset. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.

What is "Shani phone"? What can I do to correct this? Thank you!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What is "Shani phone"? What can I do to correct this? Thank you!

Did you purchase that iPhone new or used from someone else?

OP
M
Reaction score
I purchased the iPhone new from a cell phone company over a year ago. The warranty expired and I also switch to a different cell phone company.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, then somehow your iPhone was named "Shani phone" when you first plugged it into iTunes. The name shouldn't matter anyway as you can always rename your iPhone the next time you plug it into iTunes.

There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "Shani Phone". The network connection was reset. Make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.

This may be a local problem with your connection. The only suggestion I have is to keep trying or try from another connection. Are you trying to download the iOS update via WiFi or when attached to your Mac?

OP
M
Reaction score
I tried to download when the iPhone was attached to my attached MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.