voice to text with iphone 5

Reaction score
Voice to text works with the message utility but when i open gmail on my iphone to send a message the microphone symbol is grayed out & i have to type. This was also the case with att email. Can i use voice to text with email?

C

chas_m

Why would Apple's Siri voice technology (which is what I'm assuming you mean here) work with third-party programs?

OP
P
Reaction score
I am not intentionally using Siri. With messaging the microphone is on, with email it is not. Unless Siri is the only voice to text function on the iphone.

C

chas_m

No, it's not the ONLY voice-to-text service possible ... but I think you would know if you'd downloaded and were using Dragon Dictation or another third-party app, so I have to assume you are using Siri or (what used to be called) Siri Dictation.

Messages is an Apple applications, so of course Siri or the built-in dictation function works with it. It doesn't work with GMail through a browser (what I assume you are using) or the GMail app (if that's what you are using) apparently.

If you'll add your GMail account to the built-in Mail app instead of accessing GMail some other way, Siri and the dictation function should both work for you in Mail.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, big help. I was using google mail app, when i switched to adding gmail account in mail utility voice to text works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.