Offline Installation of OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
Hi,

Need Help again,here's the current scenario:

Few days back I sold my MBP.It was on 10.7.2 before I handed to the buyer.To delete my all data,I did Command +D and in Disk utility,I did ERASE. All data was deleted.
Now the problem is download doesn't complete when trying to install fresh copy of os x.
I want to know if I can help the buyer by making bootable USB disk.

I have following 2 system with OS X running:
1.MBP 10.8.2
2.MBP 10.7

The buyer doesn't want to spend anything to purchase a fresh copy of the os x.

Please suggest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
I don't think OS 10.7 is available by download anymore. You may be able to call Apple and get it on a flash drive. I am not sure about that.
Personally, I don't think $20 is too much to pay for his or her own license to Mac OSX.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
^ $20 is for license.I would have paid for license,if license alone is main problem.
My main concern is offline installation.
When the MBP starts without any OS it does ask for installation of OS 10.7,but the download size is quite heavy (about 4.7Gb).He tried for 2-3 times but it was interrupted by disconnection of internet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
^ $20 is for license.I would have paid for license,if license alone is main problem.
My main concern is offline installation.
When the MBP starts without any OS it does ask for installation of OS 10.7,but the download size is quite heavy (about 4.7Gb).He tried for 2-3 times but it was interrupted by disconnection of internet.

You need to create your own bootable disk or USB stick after downloading (BEFORE any installing). If you do not know how to do this...do an internet search...there are probably 100's of articles on how to do it.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Then he needs to go somewhere that has a steady connection. Perhaps a public library, Starbucks, or even an Apple Store. A download of 4.7GB should take about 20 to 30 minutes in one of those places.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
there are probably 100's of articles on how to do it.

- Nick
This is the real problem.All the 100's of articles state different things.I would be thankful,if somebody can pm me correct and tested way.
Then he needs to go somewhere that has a steady connection. Perhaps a public library, Starbucks, or even an Apple Store. A download of 4.7GB should take about 20 to 30 minutes in one of those places.
I have updated my location.There's no such place I know around my place where I can get such speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
How about your friend - "the buyer"? . . . can "he" find a location faster wireless internet connection? You are not consistent among your posts.

Also, do an Advanced Search this forum...there are specific, detailed instructions on how to burn a .dmg of a downloaded Mac OSX.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
@Dogbreath: He can't find any such location.What make you feel that I am inconsistent among my posts ?
I read the rules before joining this forum and did an advance search but couldn't find any solution from any of the thread.
Again my main problem is not burning .dmg,but where to download OS x w and to restore the mac offline.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Let me find my tutorials and I will Link you to them. Hang in there. I have posted it here before. Will give you the URL. just be patient.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you attempted downloading it from either of the 2 Macs you have that are still up and running?

10.7 is available for download to any Apple ID that has already purchased it and will be shown in the Purchases section of the App Store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem is Lion and Mountain lion are tied to one's Apple ID and not to the computer. Different altogether to the days when install discs came when new with each computer. Did the MBP originally come with Snow Leopard by chance which you could pass on to the buyer? He can install that and download his own version of ML after establishing an Apple ID and lodging credit card details.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
I have not found this to be the situation.

Here is a procedure prepared by MacWorld. How much more trusted a procedure can there be...than one from MacWorld??:

How to make a bootable Mountain Lion install drive | Macworld

- Nick

Thank You,will try this.

Have you attempted downloading it from either of the 2 Macs you have that are still up and running?

10.7 is available for download to any Apple ID that has already purchased it and will be shown in the Purchases section of the App Store.

Both the running Mac came with the newer version of OS.I think,it would be illegal to install 10.8 on a system that has a license of 10.7.

The problem is Lion and Mountain lion are tied to one's Apple ID and not to the computer. Different altogether to the days when install discs came when new with each computer. Did the MBP originally come with Snow Leopard by chance which you could pass on to the buyer? He can install that and download his own version of ML after establishing an Apple ID and lodging credit card details.
MBP originally came with Lion and is not showing up in purchase section of the App Store.
Now after going through various reply and post here on mac forum I have decided to download an installer file from torrentz,follow the procedure posted by pigoo3 and send to the buyer.
Will it be illegal ? or Will it work properly ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Confused. If it came with Mountain Lion there was no going back to Lion OS X.7. Or are we talking about a different MBP?

Well I guess it will be if the purchaser creates his/her own Apple ID and then purchases Mountain Lion or even Mavericks when it is released. Would not trust an illegal copy too far. When the purchaser goes to update it will probably ask for Apple ID. Suggest not providing your own ID.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
I'm sorry,it came with Lion pre-installed 10.7.2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sorry got busy but that Macworld site is the correct info. Let us know how it goes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Or you can use this if you don't want to 'get your hands dirty' in Disk Utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i5,500Gb,8Gb
@mrplow,I downloaded Lion Disk Maker many times,but on my mac it always says broken archive,move to trash.

C

chas_m

You apparently need to find a RELIABLE Internet connection. Surely the library or local coffeeshop has one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.