New White Apple Remote wont work with Apple T.V. 3rd gen?

Reaction score
Basically I lost my aluminum remote that come with the apple tv 3rd gen and I lost it, so I purchased a brand new white remote which I received today and it wont pair up with my apple tv at all. I have tried pressing just one button but the light on the apple tv doesn't even flicker or change. I find it highly thrustrating that I spend money on something that doesn't work.

I have tried holding menu and fast forward or even menu and rewind and nothing happens at all.

Please help cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
White remote? From Apple? They don't currently sell a white one. It's aluminum. Where exactly did you get this?

Here's Apple's support page on pairing remotes to the ATV:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

OP
R
Reaction score
White remote? From Apple? They don't currently sell a white one. It's aluminum. Where exactly did you get this?

Here's Apple's support page on pairing remotes to the ATV:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1555

I purchased it through eBay and its brand new. I have ordered another battery just incase it's a dead one. Fingers crossed its a dead battery and not a fault with the remote.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If it is the remote I think it is things should work. I sometimes use the one that came with my 2008 MacBook Pro with no issues. If you can't get this to work you can use one of those universal remotes as well.

There is a trick to using the "universal" remote though. Do not try to teach the universal remote the commands from the Apple remote. If you can get to the setup portion of the Apple TV somewhere in there is a series of simple steps to set up different remotes for use with the Apple TV. Basically you trigger the procedure it shows you a command on screen and you touch the button on the remote that you want to learn the command. In essence you are teaching Apple TV rather than the remote.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I purchased it through eBay and its brand new. I have ordered another battery just incase it's a dead one. Fingers crossed its a dead battery and not a fault with the remote.

I'm wondering more if it's a fake. Anywho, here's a link for troubleshooting the Apple Remote:
https://support.apple.com/kb/ht1722

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I had a white Apple remote which was for an Apple iPod dock, not the ATV. Could that be what you have ended up with?

It looked like this:
31DYykVioML_SX342__zps9b5e52a7.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.