iOS 7

Reaction score
This is pretty good. I like it a lot. I wonder if the battery last longer or get use more?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Relax. You can't upgrade your iPhone to iOS7 without iTunes 11.1.0 which is likely why you are having issues with the over the air update you are launching from your iPhone. You likely last synced with iTunes 11.0.5 or older and thus can't get iOS7 since you couldn't in turn sync back to iTunes.

Then again, maybe the server is just busy.

Run a manual TM backup of your Mac, and then backup your iPhone in your iTunes 11.0.5. Then do the iTunes 11.1.0 update first and see what/if that breaks. After that you can move along to iOS7 if you like.

ETA: you need to reboot the iPhone after syncing with iTunes 11.1. You also need 2.9GB free on the iPhone to do the update over the air.

Reaction score
If it helps anyone:

As previously stated; iTunes 11.1 is required to get iOS 7.

I ran into a few walls today. Notably, Apple Software Update erroring out on updating iTunes. iPhones not showing the latest iOS version available. People going nuts.

A simple fix for iTunes update errors: go straight to the iTunes website and download it from there (that's what I did for my Windows box).

From there I was able to update a few devices to iOS 7 despite them not being able to OTA the update after syncing with iTunes 11.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
iOS 7 was just released last night here. I got it immediately, which is a rather stupid thing to do. You always leave time to get the initial bugs out; for any software. Just because something is the latest and greatest, doesn't mean it has to be gotten that very instant its out.
That aside, my initial impressions are pretty good. I like the look and the feel. Even on my so called ancient iPhone 4, the OS seems pretty fluid and responsive. Nothing to complain about.
Since the iPhone 4 doesn't get much of the other features like Siri and stuff, my interaction with the phone is going to be pretty much the same as when I had the old OS.
But I like the look, the feel, the added panel of quick settings and stuff is a treat to look and use. These I welcome.
My brothers, who are heavy Android fans, say that its nothing but a blatant copy of Android, but I don't care. The simple thing is that its Apple. So while they need to fiddle and adjust so many tweaks on their phones, mine will just simply do what it has been since the day I got it - Work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iOS 7 was just released last night here. I got it immediately, which is a rather stupid thing to do. You always leave time to get the initial bugs out; for any software. Just because something is the latest and greatest, doesn't mean it has to be gotten that very instant its out.
That aside, my initial impressions are pretty good. I like the look and the feel. Even on my so called ancient iPhone 4, the OS seems pretty fluid and responsive. Nothing to complain about.
Since the iPhone 4 doesn't get much of the other features like Siri and stuff, my interaction with the phone is going to be pretty much the same as when I had the old OS.
But I like the look, the feel, the added panel of quick settings and stuff is a treat to look and use. These I welcome.
My brothers, who are heavy Android fans, say that its nothing but a blatant copy of Android, but I don't care. The simple thing is that its Apple. So while they need to fiddle and adjust so many tweaks on their phones, mine will just simply do what it has been since the day I got it - Work.
Out of curiosity what is it that they think is a blatant copy as I have compared it side by side to my friends Galaxy S3 now he wants the new iPhone 5s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
Out of curiosity what is it that they think is a blatant copy as I have compared it side by side to my friends Galaxy S3 now he wants the new iPhone 5s.
The sliding to close apps, the quick settings panel that slides from the bottom. These little things.
Personally I don't think that they are. They may be similar or something but not the same. Another thing to note is that whatever Apple has done with the new iOS, it is simply something that is much better than what it was. I'd say its an all new and much needed update.
Thank You Apple..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This video should help. In short, many of the features were inspired by designs external to Apple.

(None of this is a criticism - if something works elsewhere, I really think that it should be adapted to the platform in question. Designers just need to own up to it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its important to note that Android would not be what it is with out iOS. It simply was the iPhone that brought the mobile market to its knees in terms of the way we do things these days.
Props to Apple for that. Yes its been missing a whole bunch of features and stuff that it now seems to have; which Android has been having for a long time, but I think its taken Apple so long just so that they could refine everything.
Yes Apple has taken ideas from everywhere for its stuff, but if you look at their success, you understand one thing... Great ideas a remembered for a season. Great Ideas Refined change the world around them.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Everyone has adapted in light of the developments from everyone else. To think that any one platform develops in a vacuum and serves as the on-going inspiration for every other would be non-sense. And at the end of the day, the consumer wins.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Being in the AV business the different brands Denon,Pioneer,Marantz and Onkyo all borrow GUI from each other its like set back see what sells and copy or get as close to it without being sued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Anyone notice that the icon for the built in Apple "Clock" app now has a second hand that moves, and that it accurately displays the actual analog time in real time? Kinda neat.

Reaction score
Updated to iOS 7 on my iPad Mini and cannot believe this has been developed by Apple! I truly this sent going to be the way forward for Apple. Asked if it was possible to go back to iOS 6 and was told no, I certainly won't be updating my iPad 3! I use Safari most of all and personally the ios7 has gone down the toilet! The wishy washy fine light blue icons are so faint, and if you have some sight problems then it is very tiring! By merging the old search and URL boxes into a single search box in ios7 has made the simple task of 'googling' a real nightmare. In iOS 7, one tap and either all the text gets deleted, or safari starts searching what IT thinks you want after using it's predictable text suggestion. I absolutely hate this new Safari and once you finally get it to search what YOU want, 8/10 times it crashes or error message that safari cannot open the page! I've never known Apple to go backwards in this industry, but sometimes, it's the basics that work! The new screens are just fussy and no longer plain and simple! I am so glad I didn't install it on my iPad 3, if you are colour blind then the new wishy washy icons in the tool bars are useless. Now my iPad Mini is up for sale.......thanks Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Updated to iOS 7 on my iPad Mini and cannot believe this has been developed by Apple! I truly this sent going to be the way forward for Apple. Asked if it was possible to go back to iOS 6 and was told no, I certainly won't be updating my iPad 3! I use Safari most of all and personally the ios7 has gone down the toilet! The wishy washy fine light blue icons are so faint, and if you have some sight problems then it is very tiring! By merging the old search and URL boxes into a single search box in ios7 has made the simple task of 'googling' a real nightmare. In iOS 7, one tap and either all the text gets deleted, or safari starts searching what IT thinks you want after using it's predictable text suggestion. I absolutely hate this new Safari and once you finally get it to search what YOU want, 8/10 times it crashes or error message that safari cannot open the page! I've never known Apple to go backwards in this industry, but sometimes, it's the basics that work! The new screens are just fussy and no longer plain and simple! I am so glad I didn't install it on my iPad 3, if you are colour blind then the new wishy washy icons in the tool bars are useless. Now my iPad Mini is up for sale.......thanks Apple!

Have you looked at the Accessibility settings to see if any of those would help your vision issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
<edit...> The wishy washy fine light blue icons are so faint, and if you have some sight problems then it is very tiring!
I guess by icons you mean text?
For Info:
Settings - General - Accessibility

Options for Larger Dynamic Type, Bold Text, Increased Contrast and Reduce Motion.

By merging the old search and URL boxes into a single search box in ios7 has made the simple task of 'googling' a real nightmare. In iOS 7, one tap and either all the text gets deleted, or safari starts searching what IT thinks you want after using it's predictable text suggestion.

Just for info this 'omnibox' style is becoming industry standard (Internet Explorer, Chrome and Safari on desktop all use this now.

There are other browsers for iOS but you can just touch at the end of the query and add more/edit it. You can also turn off predictive search in the Safari options. Alternatively just use Google.com etc as your home page.

Reaction score
I guess by icons you mean text?
For Info:
Settings - General - Accessibility

Options for Larger Dynamic Type, Bold Text, Increased Contrast and Reduce Motion.

I mean the little icons that are in the Safari Menu bar, the back/forward arrows and bookmarks etc, these were nice and clear in ios 6. Also my recent search drop down window no longer appears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Recent search can be toggled in Safari options. My previous post will improve the icon visibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Lindy, I do think you are making much ado about nothing. Personally, I love it. Like it better than iOS 6. Sure as **** looks better! Although we can't go back, I wouldn't want to. Although I don't use all of the new features, iOS7 is a wonderful OS for the iPhone. I have an iPhone 5. Not the 5S. Come on partner, hang in there. It'll grow on you. My girlfriend, my son and my nephew love it. Didn't take but the first day for it to grow on me. Before you'll know it, you'll wonder how you ever did without it.

I've always wondered why some folks have had problems upgrading. I never had. Neither with my 3GS nor my new 5 nor my 2012 MBP. I've gone from Lion to Mountain Lion. Not a lick of a hick-up. Must have some Irish in me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is irony for you as I was helping a friend back up his Galaxy 3 to his PC I was looking at screen shots of KIT-KAT the newest OS for Android and in the comments section they were saying it is copying iOS7 looks and most did not like it.

C

chas_m

I went into iOS 7 with some trepidation, as I am not a "bright colours" kind of guy. But previous experience has taught me that photos and screenshots don't tell the whole story, and sure enough ... iOS 7 has been marvellous for me and I'm really enjoying it (though I did spend a day wondering WHATWHAT about deleting emails and such before I figured out that you swipe to the LEFT now ... gah ... at least they improved the functionality of it ...).

Same with the iPhone 5c. I had quite frankly turned my nose up at it looking at the photos. Cheap-looking. Trendy. Hipster blech. The iPhone 5s is only $100 more!

Now that I've gotten to hold a couple of these 5c units, however, my opinion has changed. I'm still getting an iPhone 5s for a variety of reasons, but the iPhone 5c is a total winner. Holding it and working with it makes ALL the difference. It's not just a plastic iPhone 5, there are some visceral improvements in it and as I say the texture is a stroke of genius.

IOS 7 isn't perfect -- I'd like a bit less OMG THE WHITE IT BLINDS and I still think the Game Center icon is the epitome of stupid. The iPhone 5c is, I found, a very worthy upgrade from the iPhone 4 (maybe less so for the iPhone 4S).

Moral of the story: don't always believe the hype, but also don't always believe the "conventional wisdom" either.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Agree with Chas on the 5c for sure. I felt the same as he did when I first saw it but it's really well made and a good phone. My very PICKY friend bought a 5c to replace his 4s and he likes it a lot more. Says it feels great and is well made and gets better battery life than his 4s by far. He go the Blue one which is what I would get if I were to get a 5c. Like Chas I want a 5s though. I like the Gold one the best! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.