iOS 7

Reaction score
Should I leave installing iOS 7 onto my iPhone 4 as I think it will really slow it down, or am I wrong ??

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hard to tell since it hasn't been released yet. In general thought, yes, it might tax your device more than other devices but it is supported which signals that it's useable.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Van said it's not out yet but the latest version of 6 is quite smooth on my old 3GS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
You might consider waiting a few weeks to upgrade - at least until there are a few online tutorials on how to "downgrade" back to iOS6. Never hurts to be able to revert if needed. I have a iP4 (not an iP4S) and will likely wait a bit to be safe.

Reaction score
I'm using iOS7 GM on my iPhone 4. For an old phone it surprisingly does work well with the hardware it has. I have no need for a new iphone at this stage, and will continue use this one as does well for what I use it for.

The eye candy is pretty much disabled for the iphone 4 (because of the hardware), but it does run well. Have tested it out for day to day use browsing emailing, tweeting, face booking and writing basic meeting agenda documents for my business, and it does surprisingly well.

The animations are a bit slow and there is an occassion lag especially when I type fast, but really it's nothing for me to complain about. :) So overall I am really enjoying the iOS7 experience on my iPhone.

Of course though it's so much better on the iPad 4 though.

Also XJ-Linux, if Apple says that you can't revert back to iOS6 having installed the GM or the public version later on, what makes you think that people can do jail breaking to do that? I might be living a sheltered life here, so I may be a bit you know..what's the word "naive". :)

If Apple says it can not be done , it generally can not be done. Yeah?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"/2.5GHz/8Gb/1Tb - iMac 21.5"/2.7GHz/8Gb/1Tb
Installed iOS7 on my 4S yesterday and it runs very smoothly so far. I really like the "simplistic" look of it. Looks way cleaner than all previous iOS versions. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I'm using iOS7 GM on my iPhone 4. For an old phone it surprisingly does work well with the hardware it has. I have no need for a new iphone at this stage, and will continue use this one as does well for what I use it for.

The eye candy is pretty much disabled for the iphone 4 (because of the hardware), but it does run well. Have tested it out for day to day use browsing emailing, tweeting, face booking and writing basic meeting agenda documents for my business, and it does surprisingly well.

The animations are a bit slow and there is an occassion lag especially when I type fast, but really it's nothing for me to complain about. :) So overall I am really enjoying the iOS7 experience on my iPhone.

Of course though it's so much better on the iPad 4 though.

Also XJ-Linux, if Apple says that you can't revert back to iOS6 having installed the GM or the public version later on, what makes you think that people can do jail breaking to do that? I might be living a sheltered life here, so I may be a bit you know..what's the word "naive". :)

If Apple says it can not be done , it generally can not be done. Yeah?

Who knows. I can only speculate based on past observations. Generally, within a few weeks of just about every iOS version to date, there is some brave soul who has found a way to revert back using an old iOS ipsw image and a few scripts packaged in a .dmg. These folks apparently never get the news from Apple that it is "now, this time, really super impossible to revert". Anyhow, I usually wait until then to take the plunge. Maybe this time will be different. I doubt it.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Sorry, thanks for all the replies, but... didn't know the iOS7 was out yet? I know I'm a bit fick but is this a Beta one ??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not out yet. iOS 7 is due to be released to the public on September 18th.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"/2.5GHz/8Gb/1Tb - iMac 21.5"/2.7GHz/8Gb/1Tb
It's out, just not officially.

C

chas_m

three8one: in the real world, that means its not out yet. What you mean to say is that you pirated the GM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I think I will listen for a bit before I install it on my iphone 4. It won't take long after the release for complaints to start if it is not going well. I'm such a believer in Apple anymore if they say it will work I'm sure it will. But I don't want to slow the phone down as I like the current speed. As I just got two new iphone 4's for .99 each. So I'm going to wait and see what turns up. Have to say I love this phone so much more than I did my Android.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
developer

I have a friend who has GM running and he let me see it running on his iPhone 5, - in short it's very Android looking.

The first thing i thought of was Samsung, it was however lightning quick and we'll just get used to it, in my opinion of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I don't think the new layout reminds me of anything out there maybe its the toned down icons on a semi 3D
look but to my eyes they made it look different.

C

chas_m

I personally don't see that much resemblance to Android, but given that there are lots of custom mods out there I'm sure its similar looking to some of them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
ios7

Garish colours some of which are awful music,- notes, safari, very windosy maybe you're right it looks like 'jaibroken' but plenty to get to like as well.

The performance is noticably faster, don't fancy the 5C, distinct loss of subtlety there.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me it's not Android but more Android like then before. I loved the look when it first came out. Maybe this will grow on me with time as well, but when the very first iphone came out I went to an At&T store and fell instantly in love with the look and interface!

I still like it as much today as the first day I saw it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.