Changed user name and lost all my files??

I

innereye

When I first setup my mac, it asked for my name and info for registration. When I was finished, I had a little icon under the desktop icon (in the finder) that said my full name. So I changed the name and when I restarted my computer everything was reset back to the original settings, my files and bookmarks were gone. I'm guessing it made two profiles? How do I get my files back? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
open up your hard drive > Users
you will see your new and old home folders just copy the stuff you wanted from your old home folder and problem solved

OP
I

innereye

ahhh.. Thank you! I assume I can just delete the old home folder without problems? Also, is there a better or should I say correct way to rename the home folder (so that it doesn't create a new user)?

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
i never knew that, but i havent noticed files missing when i changed my users... good info thou!

"Your all just soo smart" :batman:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
Naa im not too smart i did the same thing and posted on here in a blind panic as i had "lost" all my date.

The easiest way to create home folder with your desired name is to make a new account with the name that you want then delete the old one

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.