MacBook Air 2013 Battery Compatibility?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a mid-2011 macbook air that requires a battery replacement (it says service battery and its capacity has reduced to about 70%).

Now, its startled me that the new 2013 macbook air, which has a 7150mAh capacity battery is not compatible with the mid-2011 model according to ifixit.com.

I'm just finding it a bit difficult to understand why that may be the case, the capacity of my battery when it was new was 6700mAh and I thought that I would be able to replace it with the 2013 battery which is exactly the same physical size and shape..

What do you guys think? Am I missing something here? Could it be something to do with the CPU current?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a mid-2011 macbook air that requires a battery replacement (it says service battery and its capacity has reduced to about 70%).

My first thought is...do you really need a new battery at this point? Original battery runtime on a full charge was approx. 7 hours.

If your MBA's battery is currently at 70%...that means that you should still be getting around 5 hours of runtime on a single charge (with average computer tasks).

Can you tell us how many cycles are on your battery?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
My first thought is...do you really need a new battery at this point? Original battery runtime on a full charge was approx. 7 hours.

If your MBA's battery is currently at 70%...that means that you should still be getting around 5 hours of runtime on a single charge (with average computer tasks).

Can you tell us how many cycles are on your battery?

- Nick

Hi Nick!

I just checked Coconut battery again and it says: 62%, 4129mAh. That means its deteriorated since I last checked about 2 weeks ago. It also says 'service battery' in the power tab at the top.

The Battery has gone through 626 cycles over 2 years.

So any idea why the 2013 macbook air battery may not be compatible with the 2011 one? Or is it and the ifixit website has got it wrong?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
So any idea why the 2013 macbook air battery may not be compatible with the 2011 one? Or is it and the ifixit website has got it wrong?

It's very likely the charging circuitry that's currently utilized in your MacBook Air can't handle the current requirements of the newer longer life battery.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's very likely the charging circuitry that's currently utilized in your MacBook Air can't handle the current requirements of the newer longer life battery.

Hi, I've done a little bit more research and it turns out that the new 2013 higher capacity battery has a 7.6V voltage compared to the 2011 7.3V. A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it. Thanks for the help anyway :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it. Thanks for the help anyway :)

Get the 2013 battery...and see what happens! If it works...then you can be one of the first folks to have tried it (as an upgrade)...and you can share your success with the works!:)

Sometimes someone has to be first!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
A small difference of 0.3V is unlikely to cause problems unless the voltage converter can't handle it.

You're correct regarding the voltage difference but that's not the only thing that matters. It's the amount of charging current provided which really matters and if your MagSafe can handle it. But like Nick said... give it a try and let us know what happens. If you experience overheating you can always go back to the original battery requirement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.