• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hi everyone,

To keep the conversation about today's presentation and announcements coherent and together, I've started this thread that we can use to discuss the presentation as/before/after it happens.

The presentation happens at 10AM Pacific (N.A.), 1PM Eastern (N.A.), 6PM in England, 7PM in W. Europe and late at night/early in the morning for our Australian contingent.

Places to follow:
- Engadget
- Ars Technica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Is there any hope for a video stream?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Watched it on Cnet. They had a vote. I voted Not Impressed! Yes, I said it.

New plastic 5c with many colors but same CPU as iPhone 5.

New Champagne Gold 5s with 64-Bit CPU, camera they claim is SLR quality (HA) and what i knew was coming, the NSA's dream, Fingerprint sensor under new Crystal home button. You can't use the phone without your fingerprints. That is pretty much it. I will review the Cnet stuff and post more if I missed anything. You use your fingerprint also on the iTunes store.

Ok let the hate Dennis comments start, I don't care! :D after what I saw I am more and more wanting a Windows 8 phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I like the new 5S. I want it, but my upgrade isn't available until early January:) As of lately, one of my most important needs is the ability to quickly take multiple photos and videos without carrying a camera. I have a feeling this will take good photos, and have easy syncing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Dennis, Gold is pretty! Think of all the ladies who will be buying Gold iPhones! :p

I do like the fingerprint thing though. Although I think something that measured your DNA would be better. Now instead of the NSA listening in on your phone conversations, they can also get your fingerprints! ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook Pro, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPhone 4S, iPod Shuffle
Pretty impressed actually. I can upgrade in October, but not sure if I will do it immediately. I have a lot of life left in my 4S.

No hate, Dennis, but after so many awful Windows experiences I have had, I can't imagine getting a phone that has Microsoft anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
For those of you saying you aren't impressed, has anyone ever really been overly impressed with the "S" model keynotes?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was impressed with the 4s. Also the 3gs was a very good upgrade, so yes in fact. My 3gs STILL works very well with the latest IOS except IOS7 will finally stop that.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The iPhone 5C reminds me an awful lot of the Lumia 620 and 625. And cheap too? Hmmm, Apple's after an interestingly non Apple-esque market.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How about the OS between the Lumina and 5c? I am very impressed with wp8 for a touch device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 3.2QC, 27" (Oct 2012), iPad (3rd)、iPhone 6 Plus
All the leaks and trustworthy rumors kinda ruined the presentation. We all knew what's coming. That's my impression. The major differences between 5 and 5S are not a lot. My co-worker is going to upgrade from 4S to 5S and I will see how it works but I doubt I will switch my 5 to 5S.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
My iPhone 5 does everything I want it to. Seeing as I just bought it in July, I'm kind of happy the 5S doesn't have any one feature I couldn't live without.

64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs. In practical terms, I don't see it making a huge impact on performance, at least for now.

I do like the fingerprint sensor idea as I am one who uses a PIN (I'm required to for work email synchronization). But then, entering my PIN has become second-nature and is not really a big deal now that I've gotten used to it.

Anyway, it's yet another lackluster WWDC keynote. Wake me up when there's some Mac/OS X or even some iPad news.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
64-bit processing is kind of interesting, considering it's very new to the ARM architecture. Seems like Apple is doing a bit of future-proofing, or perhaps a bit of one-upmanship in terms of specs.
I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I find this interesting. Right now, especially for a mobile device, it's utterly useless. Then again, much mobile technology is right now (there's no reason that my Nexus 4 needs 4 processing cores...it's a phone). That's not a criticism but more of an interesting development. What does Apple have planned for it? No phone on the market needs 64-bit processing to manage more RAM (and if it gets to that point, it won't be Apple getting there first) and increasing space for large integer processing is...well, this is a phone, not a scientific machine.

If this is future-proofing or one up manship, it's an interesting change for Apple, a company that usually disregards the arms race in their development.

As usual, we share the same opinion, but you're able to put it together in a much more eloquent way :)

Reaction score
Well I cant wait to get my hands on one. My 4 has been ruining so slow for about 6 months and i smashed the screen about 4 months ago and put a cheap eBay screen on it that is driving me mad.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping for a comment from Van on his thoughts on IOS7 VS Windows 8 phone.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was hoping for a comment from Van on his thoughts on IOS7 VS Windows 8 phone.
Haha, my thoughts on iOS are crystal clear at this point (for those who don't know, I think it's fine just not as revolutionary as it once was). WP8 still intrigues me - I like the paradigm and minimalistic aesthetics but I couldn't possibly own a device running it.

I read an interesting statement today about the 64-bit transition on OSNews:
I doubt 64bit will provide much benefit today, but you have to hand it to Apple: at least they're done with the transition before it's even needed.
The way mobile phones are developing and becoming normal tools in social and business workflows, there's little doubt that 64-bit will be the norm at some point much like it did with PCs (I mean this in the broadest sense). This is where I think this is interesting - Apple got the transition over with now before anyone cared so that when (if?) it does, Apple will have long since prepared for it. This of course assumes that the 32 to 64 bit transition is all that painful which, if personal computing is any sign, it's really not. Regardless, this isn't to detract from the early work that Apple has done which certainly isn't harmful (the value is still to be judged though).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm eagerly awaiting my 5S. Looking forward to the fingerprint scanner (fingerprints are said, by Apple, to be stored locally on the iPhone, no iCloud/NSA involvement) and the new camera. Plus the larger screen as I'm still on a 4S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
I'll be moving from my 4S to a 5S. Looking forward to it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm still on a iPhone 4 which I got dirt cheap a few months ago. At the time I was saving pennies against the possibility of need ing a new Mac.

I was in the AT&T store recently and the rep clued me in to their device replacement option (which I mistakenly thought was only for non Apple gear). A 5s would be nice but I think I will be using the replacement program to replace my first gen iPad. I'm having to reboot it more often lately - especially when installing app updates.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.