• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
ARM-based Macs, in another five years. Ten, tops. Calling it now!
ARM licensees seem pretty focused on using its inherent power sipping designs for devices that need as much longevity as possible. What that means for future desktop designs is uncertain so I suppose anything is possible but Apple seems to be having tremendous success getting that battery life from Intel processors. So, I'll take that bet ($50?). ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
ARM licensees seem pretty focused on using its inherent power sipping designs for devices that need as much longevity as possible. What that means for future desktop designs is uncertain so I suppose anything is possible but Apple seems to be having tremendous success getting that battery life from Intel processors. So, I'll take that bet ($50?). ;)

That'll barely cover lunch in 10 years. :Smirk:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wish people would read that review I posted the URL to with both 32 and 64 bit benchmarks. If you think Anand and his team don't know their stuff, I have pitty for you. That CPU is that much faster and in 64-Bit even more so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wish people would read that review I posted the URL to with both 32 and 64 bit benchmarks. If you think Anand and his team don't know their stuff, I have pitty for you. That CPU is that much faster and in 64-Bit even more so.

I was a long-time reader of Anandtech back before I switched to Macs and was building my own PCs. They and Tom's Hardware were my go-to sites for making decisions on what components to buy based on their guides and reviews. As far as I'm concerned, what they say is godsend.

Hey wait... I thought you weren't impressed with the 5S? ;D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I was a long-time reader of Anandtech back before I switched to Macs and was building my own PCs. They and Tom's Hardware were my go-to sites for making decisions on what components to buy based on their guides and reviews.

Hey wait... I thought you weren't impressed with the 5S? ;D

5C. At the very first I was doubting 64-Bits like most were. Benchmarks tell the story so be nice. Before the tests there no proof of it's benefits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Whats funny will be watching the competition scramble to come out with their 64bit platform.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
5C. At the very first I was doubting 64-Bits like most were. Benchmarks tell the story so be nice. Before the tests there no proof of it's benefits.

Ah. Well no one should be impressed by the 5C. It literally is the iPhone 5 with a plastic shell instead of the aluminum one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whats funny will be watching the competition scramble to come out with their 64bit platform.

No kidding. And Android isn't even 64-bit capable. Errrr... at least I had read that it wasn't and making it so would be no small matter, but articles are now out saying that it is 64-bit capable and always has been. I'm confused.
Android 64-bit support already baked in: just add hardware - SlashGear

Certainly Linux is 64-bit capable, but my understanding is that the Java VM (Dalvik) isn't and that's going to be the challenge.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No kidding. And Android isn't even 64-bit capable. Errrr... at least I had read that it wasn't and making it so would be no small matter, but articles are now out saying that it is 64-bit capable and always has been. I'm confused.
Android 64-bit support already baked in: just add hardware - SlashGear
I'm guessing your confusion is similar in character to mine - Linux has been 64-bit for years but who knows what work is (not) needed to make the other layers 64-bit. I tried to find an answer but ended up finding things that make absolutely no sense to me.

I'm starting to see that the 64-bit processor has a few tangible benefits now and that it's very likely that support for it will grow over time (something I never doubted but it seems that it will happen with greater speed). I'm not sure what this means for mobile platforms but it can only be exciting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Gruber (DaringFireball) also points out that the speed benefits aren't just because its 64bit (64bit is just an added bonus) and that most of the speed boost is because the new ARMv8 architecture design for the new A7.

What does this mean? It means, for one thing, that the biggest reason for the performance and power consumption improvements going from the A6 to A7 is the switch from the ARMv7 to ARMv8 architectures, not 32- to 64-bit. ARMv8’s improved instruction set alone has resulted in 15-20 percent performance gains while simultaneously using less power, from what I’ve been told by informed sources. And though Apple could have gone to ARMv8 while remaining 32-bit only, it made no sense not to go 64-bit.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read the two graphs toward the bottom of this page. Person who ran the tests knows what they are doing. Same CPU with 32 and 64 bit performance tests.

AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Great write-ups on the new processors. Very informative, and very exciting.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@lifeisabeach I think I have heard others suggest a few years ago that this processing power would soon be available so you are probably. I think it will take that kind of power to make wearable computing anywhere close to feasible on a wide scale.

When Apple announced a 64 bit processor arrangement I figured there had to be some forward-looking reason. It's not the kind of thing that strikes me as change for change sake. For me, the real question is what will developers do with this power? Eye candy or something truly interesting?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.