• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iPhone/iOS Presentation Discussion Thread

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Well for what it is worth I have no use for any phone that requires a fingerprint to access it. I have had a fingerprint sensor on two different laptops and neither worked well. Or it could just be me. I have had two jobs that required background checks and it takes them forever to get a good set of prints from me using a scanner.

I will just stick with my Note II. Love it.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
Sadly, I have to wait till the end of Feb 2014 to upgrade my phone- by then the smoke will have cleared, the long lines will have passed and any bugs(if any) will have been fixed. i do think the fingerprint would be good on the iPad as more sensitive information is on a tablet over a phone. Probably will see that in late 2014. I wish they will announce the new iPad so the price will drop on the current model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I will have to wait another year do to contract but after watching the Keynote I would love to get one.

Reaction score
Next phone will be a Samsung Note 3.

As for the 5s, not much left in the Apple pipeline. What little there is gets scooped weeks ahead of announcement.

This phone should've had a larger screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

And yet it will sell like hotcakes and Apple will be unable to keep up with demand, just like every other version of the iPhone to date. Thus disproving the notion that everyone wants a bigger screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S. It has dramatically improved processing power; significant improvements to the camera and flash, which I suspect will once again be proven to be best in class; a fingerprint scanner that, if it works as designed, will be a more pleasant alternative to unlocking with a PIN; the motion co-processessor that will open up some fitness tracking options, or improve upon existing ones. The switch to a 64-bit processor has more implications than some people think, though I don't think it will be beneficial now for much more than a handful of math-intensive apps, based on what I've read. All in all, I'd say this is a very impressive update. Why people think it isn't just baffles me. What, exactly, do those people want? Besides a giant screen?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What, exactly, do those people want? Besides a giant screen?

I agree. If I need a larger screen, I can just continue to use my iPad 3. I now have to see how much T-Mobile is going to charge for the 5S and if they too will initiate a trade in program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Note the slight difference between UK and US prices again.

Pity, as the 5c doesn't look too bad.

I suppose the 5s isn't bad if you can afford it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S. It has dramatically improved processing power; significant improvements to the camera and flash, which I suspect will once again be proven to be best in class; a fingerprint scanner that, if it works as designed, will be a more pleasant alternative to unlocking with a PIN; the motion co-processessor that will open up some fitness tracking options, or improve upon existing ones.

I agree wholeheartedly . . . 64Bit for christ sake, thats a massive, HUGE step up, and yea nothing apart from Infinity Blade III is the only thing that will use its power and in the KeyNote, i must admit it looked amazing. The sad thing is, is im not a gamer, so i cant see where a 64Bit Phone would help me out in real life activities . . . . . . Yet !!!!! But come on people, its 64Bit and thats a HECK of a lot of power for a Phone. A true Mini Computer. AND ALL WITH 250HRS standby :)

Now i just hope they are heading this way with the iPad Mini and ill be first in line. Actually, im going to be hitting Refresh or take a trip to the big smoke when they release the Retina 64Bit M7 (sounds very British Spy stuff) finger scanner 11MP twin Flash camera iPad Mini because thats what im getting :) With free iLife and iWork so ill hold off on that purchase lol

Note the slight difference between UK and US prices again.

Pity, as the 5c doesn't look too bad.

I suppose the 5s isn't bad if you can afford it :(

If i wanted to get rid of my 6mth old iPhone 5 and replace it, it would set me back $999 AUD, so unless i can sell my 6mth old iPhone 5 for $600+ it aint going to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree. If I need a larger screen, I can just continue to use my iPad 3. I now have to see how much T-Mobile is going to charge for the 5S and if they too will initiate a trade in program.

My contract on my 4S is due up in a month or so. I'm planning to unlock it, then see how my coverage is here. If it's good enough, especially at home, we're switching. I won't be upgrading if I do though... I'm fine with my 4S and would like to get at least 3 years out of it, but it'd make no sense to bother if I can't switch since I can sell it for what it'd cost to upgrade and my rates don't change off contract.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I was in the "meh" camp with the iPhone 5, but I don't understand why people aren't impressed with the 5S.
Because, for many, the features aren't all that amazing. a 64-bit processor means nothing for the average user (for now at least), it's an 8 MP camera in a 13 MP world, it's a dual core chip in a quad core world and it likely has significantly less memory than other flagship phones. Whether or not those are valid is irrelevant since those, in conjunction with the rather diminutive screen, will all be critiques brought up for the time coming.

I agree wholeheartedly . . . 64Bit for christ sake, thats a massive, HUGE step up, [...] But come on people, its 64Bit and thats a HECK of a lot of power for a Phone..
How so? This is honestly what I don't get out of this presentation (that and the migration to what is essentially a plastic iPhone 5). The application stack won't be 64-bit compatible, in its entirety, for years since non-64 bit platforms still have to be supported. Speed gains are negligible or in some cases, 64-bit processors hinder performance (source). 64-bit applications are also larger in size as well (source). Where does it hinder performance most? Machines with less than 4GB of RAM, which is every smartphone in the world. Should (when?) smartphones reach that level, it certainly won't be Apple getting their first either. In this sense, the 64-bit processor is little more than marketing for Apple right now since, at a technical level, it may actually be detrimental in some respects.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because, for many, the features aren't all that amazing. a 64-bit processor means nothing for the average user (for now at least), it's an 8 MP camera in a 13 MP world, it's a dual core chip in a quad core world and it likely has significantly less memory than other flagship phones. Whether or not those are valid is irrelevant since those, in conjunction with the rather diminutive screen, will all be critiques brought up for the time coming.

The average users are idiots then. More megapixels don't automatically mean better pictures. Apple is making a lot of other improvements to make the pictures better. Jacking up the number of megapixels would negate those improvements to some degree. And bear in mind that the picture quality of photos taken by the past 2-3 iPhone models have been widely considered best in class at the time those models were released. As for the A7 being a dual-core... again something that only matters to people who only focus on specs, and even then they are only narrowly focusing on specs that are widely marketed. There is so much more to processor design and indeed the design of the entire logic board that affects performance, but the industry plays up on the general ignorance of the public about this and focuses their marketing on a select few specs that grab your attention. What should matter is how it performs in real life, which they say is up to twice as fast as the iPhone 5. As someone who is still very happy with the performance of my iPhone 4S, I'd venture that any performance hits that the 64-bit architecture may bring won't even be noticeable, and being "simply" a dual-core processor won't exactly be a handicap.

So basically, yes, I guess I should understand why people are unimpressed. They are the real sheep who buy into marketing buzzwords. It's the whole "PC vs Mac" wars based on specs all over again. ;)

How so? This is honestly what I don't get out of this presentation (that and the migration to what is essentially a plastic iPhone 5). The application stack won't be 64-bit compatible, in its entirety, for years since non-64 bit platforms still have to be supported. Speed gains are negligible or in some cases, 64-bit processors hinder performance (source). 64-bit applications are also larger in size as well (source). Where does it hinder performance most? Machines with less than 4GB of RAM, which is every smartphone in the world. Should (when?) smartphones reach that level, it certainly won't be Apple getting their first either. In this sense, the 64-bit processor is little more than marketing for Apple right now since, at a technical level, it may actually be detrimental in some respects.

There are some plusses to going to 64-bit now. I'll just point to one comment on Ars Technica since he makes the point better than I can:
Apple unveils 64-bit iPhone 5S with fingerprint scanner, $199 for 16GB | Ars Technica

It's only a matter of time before they will really NEED to go to 64-bit architecture, so why not start now, especially if there is no practical downside to it? If for no other reason, it will get their developers a head start.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There are some plusses to going to 64-bit now. I'll just point to one comment on Ars Technica since he makes the point better than I can:
Apple unveils 64-bit iPhone 5S with fingerprint scanner, $199 for 16GB | Ars Technica
That quote fails to recognize that mapping considerably more memory space hits the battery hard which might explain why most phones (Android ones at least since it's these phones that play the spec game) only go to 2GB and no further. If the purpose of the 64 bit processor is indeed to enable greater memory stores, I hope Apple spent a lot of time scaling back the power usage in the A7 cores. I imagine that they know of all this though. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2011, i7, 8gigs RAM, OS 10.11 iPhone 6s, ATV3
Next phone will be a Samsung Note 3.

As for the 5s, not much left in the Apple pipeline. What little there is gets scooped weeks ahead of announcement.

Totally disagree. I want a phone not a tablet. Some of the sizes of phones are ridiculous. I mean if they want to have a couple different sizes..ok, but don't make them all big. I love the size of the iPhone just the way it is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That quote fails to recognize that mapping considerably more memory space hits the battery hard which might explain why most phones (Android ones at least since it's these phones that play the spec game) only go to 2GB and no further. If the purpose of the 64 bit processor is indeed to enable greater memory stores, I hope Apple spent a lot of time scaling back the power usage in the A7 cores. I imagine that they know of all this though. ;)

If the battery life truly is the same as or better than the iPhone 5 as they claim, then I guess they have. Unless they figured out how to squeeze a bigger battery in there. ;D

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Totally disagree. I want a phone not a tablet. Some of the sizes of phones are ridiculous. I mean if they want to have a couple different sizes..ok, but don't make them all big. I love the size of the iPhone just the way it is.
A larger screen doesn't make it a tablet. My phone has a 4.7" screen and it's hardly a tablet. In fact, it's amazing how quickly you come to appreciate the screen size difference.

If the battery life truly is the same as or better than the iPhone 5 as they claim, then I guess they have. Unless they figured out how to squeeze a bigger battery in there. ;D
They managed to keep the numbers relatively consistent from the 5 to the 5s. Depending what you read, that's either sufficient or it fails to keep up with the growth in batteries available in other phones (searching for a clear answer to this is like searching for an objective answer to the question "which is the best colour?").

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A larger screen doesn't make it a tablet. My phone has a 4.7" screen and it's hardly a tablet. In fact, it's amazing how quickly you come to appreciate the screen size difference.

Maybe so, because I haven't used one for a long period of time. I have only held them at stores and used other peoples for a little bit. So you never know, but I like the size of the iPhone from what I know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They managed to keep the numbers relatively consistent from the 5 to the 5s. Depending what you read, that's either sufficient or it fails to keep up with the growth in batteries available in other phones (searching for a clear answer to this is like searching for an objective answer to the question "which is the best colour?").

The growth in battery capacity is in part made possible by the growth in the size of those phones, thus allowing for bigger batteries. ;)

Personally I think Apple should and eventually will make a larger iPhone available. It may not be entirely feasible right now because they will still be making the 4S for another year, and I suspect they don't want to throw in a 3rd screen size into production.

OP
vansmith

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe so, because I haven't used one for a long period of time. I have only held them at stores and used other peoples for a little bit. So you never know, but I like the size of the iPhone from what I know
It's all about expectations and preferences. For example, I know that when I hold an iPhone, all I can think is "What is this? A centre for ants?" (bonus points if you get the reference). That doesn't make it bad, just unexpected. ;)

The growth in battery capacity is in part made possible by the growth in the size of those phones, thus allowing for bigger batteries. ;)
True. The size does afford space for a larger battery (hence why the Note 2 can last, apparently, for days on end).

Personally I think Apple should and eventually will make a larger iPhone available. It may not be entirely feasible right now because they will still be making the 4S for another year, and I suspect they don't want to throw in a 3rd screen size into production.
I wonder if Apple can get around this issue by doing what they did with the iPad Mini - change the size and resolution but keep the ratio the same.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's all about expectations and preferences. For example, I know that when I hold an iPhone, all I can think is "What is this? A centre for ants?" (bonus points if you get the reference). That doesn't make it bad, just unexpected. ;)

ha ha... I was racking my brain... I knew I had heard it before, and finally had to go the where all of the answers are... Google

How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read... if they can't even fit inside the building?

Very nice reference...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.