Time Capsule/Airport Express mess

Reaction score
Hi All.

I have Infinity 2 Broadband from BT which provides a BT wireless network for me. I plug a TimeCapsule into it the BT hub which provides a second wireless network in the house (I have to keep the BT hub so as to have free access to the BT wifi when out and about).

I have an Apple TV which works fine via the TC network.

I have an Airport Express so as to stream music to a hifi (in a different room to where the ATV is) from my MacBook Air. I set this up to extend the TC network and all was fine.

Today, I had c. 15 secs of music and then the network has gone loopy. When connecting to the TC network the MBA connects to the AE but the AE doesn't seem to see the TC anymore. The MBA only sees the TC when it connects to the BT network.

I have uptodate firmware for the TC and the AE and have 6.3.1 Airport Utility.

Could this have anything to do with the AE having been switched off for a couple of weeks while on holiday? I'd be surprised because then surely I wouldn't have had my 15 secs worth once I turned it on.

I have restarted MBA and TC and BT hub.

Anyone have any ideas? All suggestions welcome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
How is the TC configured? Is it set to Bridge mode?

Also, just for info you only need to have a BT Broadband account in order to get free BT wifi. You don't need to use the hub to qualify.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi. I think so - rings a bell from original set up. How do I check? Can't seem to find it as an option anywhere.

NB I've just done a soft reset on the AE and the music is flowing again!

Are you sure about the BT situation. I've read that BT can tell if you aren't using their hub and disable your BTWifi ability because you are effectively taking away a BTWifi connection for their other subscribers - i.e. you only get to use other people's hubs if yours is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Apologies. You need to have been a customer prior to 2009 to be able to opt out of the wifi programme without penalty of losing the free wifi. Sorry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.