file duplication

Reaction score
Hello

I am going to try and help a friend who has the following problem with Lion. When she create a new document, it self-duplicates every time she opens it and save changes and she ends up having umpteen copies of it.
What could be the problem... where shall we start pocking?

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Does this happen in every application? Which applications are being used?

OP
J
Reaction score
I think it is when she creates some word documents... but I'll know more later today.
I was just hoping to have a clue on where to start.
Thanks for your answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are various auto-save functions in various apps so narrowing it down will help a lot.

Once you have more details please post back with full OSX and Applications versions.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi there,

It appears that every time we open a document (word or pdf) a copy appears on the desktop (copy 1, 2 and more). Mac OS X 10.7.5
As soon as she clicks on the original, a copy show up on the desktop!!!

OP
J
Reaction score
We found out it is a problem with saving any Word document. Every-time we safeguard a document, in the "get info" we can see the "Stationary Pad" is checked!!! Where do you go to prevent this?

... so it is an issue with "Stationery Pad" - I am confused, is it a Word issue or a Mac issue?

Thanks very much for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apologies for the delay. Any file marked with stationary pad will treat it like a template. When you save it will create a copy to keep the template unchanged.

Uncheck this to prevent this behaviour.

Does it happen if you create and save a new file in word?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.