Dead Late 2011 MBP

Reaction score
I need help diagnosing my dead MBP. Late 2011 13" MBP 2.4Ghz i5, 4GB dual booted with W7.

The issue started waking from sleep when the system froze at the login screen before I could type anything in. The system had been sitting on a table for 10 minutes or so since it was last on and was not dropped and no water was spilt on it or anything. Waited a while and nothing, so a restart was performed with the power button. On start-up the system could not find an OS (flashing folder with a question mark on it). I pulled the internal drive and tried it and the cord in my 2013 13" MBP and they work just fine - I also tried my 2013's drive and cord in the 2011 to no avail. The system sees no drive if you start it in recovery mode with the disk.

This sounds like a logic board fault as far as I can tell. I've tried resetting the board by pulling the battery and leaving it for a day, and i've also tried resetting the SMC. Any further things to try or is this indeed a logic board fault?

The computer is flawless other than this - what are my best options for fixing the board? Use one of these mail-in eBay services to coax my board back to life for 200$?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like the logic board may have gone south. You can either send it off and have it repaired\refurbished or take a chance on buying a used board from a seller on eBay. Or, you can sell the 2011 on eBay or Craig's list for parts. Even a dead MBP can bring a few hundred bucks especially since it's a 2011 model.

OP
D
Reaction score
It does sound like the logic board may have gone south. You can either send it off and have it repaired\refurbished or take a chance on buying a used board from a seller on eBay. Or, you can sell the 2011 on eBay or Craig's list for parts. Even a dead MBP can bring a few hundred bucks especially since it's a 2011 model.

Any recommendations on refurbishing companies that ship international? There seems to be quite a number of companies of questionable reputation.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I didn't know you were outside of the US since you didn't list your location. Off hand I don't know of a reputable repair service who will ship outside of the US. You may be better off trying to find a replacement board on eBay or through Amazon third party resellers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.