Create a new user account by duplicating an existing one?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know it it's possible to create a new user account by somehow duplicating an existing one (with a different username of course)?

I want to create an account for a small business I'm starting. But since I'm the same person, I want the new account to have all of the tweaks and customizations I've done to my personal account.

I've spent (far too many) hours customizing my personal account to be just the way I want it and the thought of starting over from default settings (even if I could remember how I did everything) is daunting.

It would be so much easier (and far less time consuming) to just start with a copy of my existing user account, delete what I don't want and go from there.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would be so much easier (and far less time consuming) to just start with a copy of my existing user account, delete what I don't want and go from there.

Sure, just create the new account and copy everything from your personal account to the new one.

OP
T
Reaction score
So what I ended up doing is:

Enable and login to root account

In root terminal:

cp -R /Users/current_user_home /Users/new_user_name
chown -RP new_user_name:staff /Users/new_user_name

In Settings > Users and Groups create new user account with new_user_name
Accept warning that a home directory already exists for this user

Reboot and login to new user account

Worked perfect. New user account is an exact replica of existing user account but with a new username.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.