Upgrade, SSD & RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My HD is failing, so I'm replacing it and had a few questions.......

Since my HD needs to be replaced, I'd like to go with the SSD. I have been reading about the SATA2 and SATA3 and as far as I can tell I should go with the SATA2 3GB/s SSD. Is this correct?
and secondly, while I'm doing one upgrade I might as well upgrade the RAM too, and right now I have two sticks each at 1GB and I'd like to have two sticks at 4GB each making 8GB but supposedly my mac can only handle 4GB. I did find an article on everymac.com, "Apple only officially supports a maximum of 4 GB of RAM in both lines. However, site sponsor Other World Computer has discovered that the "Late 2009" (MacBook6,1) model actually is capable of supporting 8 GB of RAM. Likewise, OWC has determined that the "Mid-2010" (MacBook7,1) model actually supports 8 GB of RAM running Mac OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" and 16 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7.5 "Lion" or higher and the latest EFI update.", as you can see saying it unofficially can hold 8GB but was wanting to get an opinion on that.

So finally, will upgrading the HD to SSD and upgrading RAM to 8GB's make my MacBook a whole lot better or not really?

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's not necessary to start a 2nd thread for the same topic. The original thread has already received at least 1 response.

Thread closed. Thanks for understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.